Two for C&C - Great Falls National Park

Connada123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm pretty new to this stuff, but here are two of my recent photos for C&C. The first one is an in-camera HDR (my first ever, and it probably shows) and I know it looks way over baked, but it's growing on me. Tell me if it's just because it's mine, or if it legitimately sucks. The second one I just used a slow shutter speed on (~2"). Please, feel free to hit me with both barrels.

4716581284_1f89abc9e3_b.jpg

4715937279_337447122d_b.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at these, and hopefully telling me how I can improve them.

-Dan

I think the first is just slightly overdone. I love the heron in the second.

Beautiful scenes nonetheless. : )

Wow, the photos looks very nice. Did the bird stay still for the 2 seconds exposure? lol

There are actually two birds, and out of about 5 similar exposures, this was the only one where the birds didn't have some kind of blur on them. The more I think about this one though, I very well could have used a faster shutter speed. I remember messing with the apeture trying to get the shutter speed up, and the highest I could go at one point was between 0.6" and 1" depending on where I was aiming. Eventually I got to 2", but this may have been taken before that. I know this information is contained within the file somewhere, but it'll take me some messing around to figure it out.

Thanks for the comments so far. Please keep them coming.

C&C per req:

1. Can only say so much about the processing since it was done in-camera, other than: Don't let the camera think for you. Use it to record the images, YOU do the processing. It's a great scene, but I'm not very fussed about the processing. I think you would have acheived much better results shooting three or four exposures and using a separate HDR application. As well, a graduated ND filter might have eliminated the need for HDR altogether.

2. Another great scene - I'd love to shoot here! This one seems about 2/3 stop under-exposed to me and the WB seems a hair off; I'm seeing a somewhat greenish cast. I would suggest a tighter crop: Eliminate some of the empty, blown water in the foreground and crop the RH side so that the new edge becomes the rocks just to the right of the heron. As well, some dodging on the darker rocks wouldn't go amiss. Oh, and don't forget to level your images - the water's all pouring out onto my desk! ;)

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Connada
I know how hard it can be to properly expose these shots, with the white water and dark rocks.

I really like the second photo, it captures my attention and the birds are icing on the cake.

Thanks tirediron, I appreciate the input. I'd love to do the HDR myself, hopefully I'll get the software in the next couple months. Until then, I'm pretty limited, but I guess I could take the necessary exposures now and then do the HDR once I get the software. I'm headed to HI next week, and plan to take a ton of photos. I also agree that a filter would have been a better choice, soon enough I'll have a bunch of gear...

I never even thought about white balance while I was out there. My camera is probably just on auto right now. I probably need a checklist to remember everything. I think you're also right regarding a different crop, getting rid of a lot of that extra water at the bottom. It's so hard seeing this stuff in your own work, but pretty apparent right after someone says something about it.

... I would suggest a tighter crop: Eliminate some of the empty, blown water in the foreground
Agreed. Crop the right side just enough to get rid of that small dark spot.

Good shot.

The first one looks like very well done CGI :)

Love the second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back