Two for CC?

Nickanoor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First of all, sorry I messed up the thread name and don't know how to delete them. Okay for starters, I know they're pretty bad. But I need to know what all is wrong with them in your eyes. There is a lot of noise in the mantis picture. How can I get rid of it with CS5? Also, how can I crop this moon photo to make it look bigger and more detailed? One more thing, if I'm shooting in RAW, why do the files say JPEG? Thanks!

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Last edited:
There is a lot of noise in the mantis picture. How can I get rid of it with CS5?

Google is your friend.
Photoshop CS5: Noise Reduction Video

Also, how can I crop this moon photo to make it look bigger and more detailed?
Look for an icon in the toolbox like this:
cropIcon.jpg

It might be a good idea to spend some time looking at the tutorials here:
Photoshop Training, Tutorials, Tips, Reviews and more for Photographers and Designers. Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5, CS4, CS3 and earlier PhotoshopCAFE.com

One more thing, if I'm shooting in RAW, why do the files say JPEG? Thanks!
You are probably shooting "RAW+JPEG" and ignoring the .CR2 files. Read the manual on the different options (RAW+JPEG, RAW, SRAW, JPEG)

1. Good settings. Well done.
2. Lighting looks like it was difficult. The bottom of the subject is cut off.
3. Needed more Depth of Field to get the whole mantis is focus. Good composition, but I'm a littl uncomfortable with him being upside-down. It might be better rotated 90 degrees CCW.
4. I'm not sure shutter priority was the best choice. You should have been able to bring that ISO down which would have reduced the noise. Backlit subject could have used some fill light.
5. Same as 4. but not as interesting.

There is a lot of noise in the mantis picture. How can I get rid of it with CS5?

Google is your friend.
Photoshop CS5: Noise Reduction Video

Also, how can I crop this moon photo to make it look bigger and more detailed?
Look for an icon in the toolbox like this:
cropIcon.jpg

It might be a good idea to spend some time looking at the tutorials here:
Photoshop Training, Tutorials, Tips, Reviews and more for Photographers and Designers. Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5, CS4, CS3 and earlier PhotoshopCAFE.com

One more thing, if I'm shooting in RAW, why do the files say JPEG? Thanks!
You are probably shooting "RAW+JPEG" and ignoring the .CR2 files. Read the manual on the different options (RAW+JPEG, RAW, SRAW, JPEG)

1. Good settings. Well done.
2. Lighting looks like it was difficult. The bottom of the subject is cut off.
3. Needed more Depth of Field to get the whole mantis is focus. Good composition, but I'm a littl uncomfortable with him being upside-down. It might be better rotated 90 degrees CCW.
4. I'm not sure shutter priority was the best choice. You should have been able to bring that ISO down which would have reduced the noise. Backlit subject could have used some fill light.
5. Same as 4. but not as interesting.

Thanks, I actually had the noise reduction video open for quite some time. The only problem is, I can't find the camera raw on PS anywhere. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I tried cropping it before, wouldn't that just cut the other parts of the image off and not make the subject actually any closer? Thanks again! Oh and as far as cutting off the wasps, it's not like that in the actual picture. Hmm.

Last edited:
I can't find the camera raw on PS anywhere.

go to FILE; OPEN; then find your cr2 file, double-click it and it should open in camera raw. (as a newby, until someone enlightens me, i put my jpeg and raws in same folder, use jpeg now as a visual to what the cr2 file is).

, wouldn't that just cut the other parts of the image off and not make the subject actually any closer?

crop it, then go to VIEW and choose FIT ON SCREEN and you get your image. Yes it's smaller than the overall original, but since there is less photo it can be enlarged.

Again, i'm a newby here, so hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back