Two from the museum

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mtn_rider1407, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mtn_rider1407

mtn_rider1407 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im very new to this but here are a few that I took yesterday. One is from a rocket engine that they had on display, it was freakin huge. The second was from the jet engine in a SR-71. C&C more than welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    While "move up close to your subject" was the first "rule" of photography I ever heard of (our dad used to say so to my sister and myself when we had our first cameras and tended to create frames with loads of space and a tiny subject in the middle), here I feel you did a little too much of a good thing. Without any context, these photos only speak to yourself (for you were there and saw the museum and its items with your own eyes, so you can add the necessary context from out of you memory), but they don't speak to other viewers. Well, that is a generalisation ... they don't speak to me, I should say (but I assume they don't speak to too many others, either, which could be wrong).

What I just said might not apply to the same extent to Photo 2 and I think it does to Photo 1, but then Photo 2 suffers from underexposure, which would be my point of critique on that one.

But I do applaud your not using flash for museum photography!!!

3. zubair851

zubair851 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is impossible to draw a whole picture from the given pictures

4. robbie_vlad

robbie_vlad TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, unless you really know what you are looking at, ie. jet engines, you cant really draw a good image from whats given. My eyes personally just wander around for a bit, uniterested. More image (in this case)= More interesting.

5. mtn_rider1407

mtn_rider1407 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool thanks, with image one I wanted to get the skull and crossbones specifically and any further away I think they would have gotten two small. As for two my purpose for the composition was just to show a neat piece of machinery. Thanks for the C&C, keep it coming. Im still trying to find balances when it comes to exposures.

6. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, I almost asked where the skull and crossbones were. I wandered around for quite a while before I saw them.

7. mtn_rider1407

mtn_rider1407 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Should I have centered the Skull and Crossbones a bit more? I was trying to invoke the rule of thirds as best as I could. Can I use invoke in that context?