Two from Yosemite. C&C welcome

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I guess nothing induces an inferiority complex like going to Yosemite as a (aspiring) photographer.

Fortunately, I provided myself with an excellent excuse for not getting good shots. I dumped a steaming hot 20 ounce starbuck's coffee on my camera to make a nice bath for it on the passenger seat of my car. I was enjoying the drive up a bit too much and the coffee popped out of the cup holder. So, the camera wouldn't work for several hours. Instead of taking the tripod and several lenses as had been my plan, I just headed up the trail with a non-functioning camera and a 35mm prime. I got some shots, but found the 35 too restrictive. I made it back to the valley just after the sun set.

1. The cables at Half dome. This shot was taken in late afternoon when the sun really lit up the cables. I purposely exposed to the left to highlight the cables.

DSC_1252.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

2. Half dome from the valley floor. I just missed a nice light show in the clouds. Sore feet just couldn't carry me back to the valley fast enough.

DSC_1325.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

I can imagine the complex. I'm sure Ansel would encourage you to keep trying. I hope someday I can visit there as well and try my hand at it. Thank you for sharing these with us. I apologize for not having anything constructive to say but at least you have something to read.

WOW, only two people on the cable?

Even if you didn't make it for the "show", I like your HD shot. I have plenty of cool dusk photos myself!

Nice shooting, Desi! Sorry to hear about the coffee incident.. that is never a good thing! :)

WOW, only two people on the cable?

Even if you didn't make it for the "show", I like your HD shot. I have plenty of cool dusk photos myself!

Thanks. Last time I went was about 5 years ago and it was a zoo. All I had was a P&S. Now a permit is required to climb past the bare rock. There is actually a ranger with an Ipad checking your reservation before you can advance. The results was wonderful as the top of the dome in the late afternoon was nearly empty. But it sure is annoying to have to plan a hike months in advance.

Nice shooting, Desi! Sorry to hear about the coffee incident.. that is never a good thing! :)

Thanks Charlie. I missed the mist trail entirely, which was spectacular in the early morning. Camera didn't start working until near the top of Nevada falls.

Nice!

Send in more!!

For as many years as I've been going to Yosemite, I've never seen the way up Half Dome! Did you hike up? Looks like a hell of a hike.

Thanks Slackercruster.

Trever, it is a wonderful hike...but a long one. But there is a lot to see on the way. The mist trail to Vernal Falls in May/June is dazzling and the emerald pool above it beautiful. Next is Nevada falls. After that you're climbing to the rocky park of half dome. It's 16 miles round trip but truly worth it, lots of beautiful things to see on the way to the top, so if you bail out you've still had a great time.

For as many years as I've been going to Yosemite, I've never seen the way up Half Dome! Did you hike up? Looks like a hell of a hike.

When I was able to backpack and before I got into photography (more than what I am now), I created a website that featured the hikes with trip info and photos. If you're interested, this is from my backpacking trip to Half Dome.

Nice 2 picture set. Sorry to hear about the coffee mishap. By the looks from your pictures, the camera survived.

I think that the 2nd one is a "potential" masterpiece, as the composition is balanced, and the warm color on the cliff is an excellent factor to the tone of picture.
But, the problem is that, firstly, the tree below is dark, it seems too heavy in the picture, you may lighten them up if possible (if you shot with RAW format, I think it's feasible to make such adjustment).
2nd, you need to adjust the color balance of the picture, make it warmer and highlight the red tone on cliff. that could be the key in my opinion~
and besides that, I think the left half of view seems comparatively "lighter" than the right, so, that's just a suggestion, you may add a moon at dusk in the sky of that half~

When I was able to backpack and before I got into photography (more than what I am now), I created a website that featured the hikes with trip info and photos. If you're interested, this is from my backpacking trip to Half Dome.

Thanks for adding the link to your site. I enjoyed "hiking" with you to half dome, Mt. Whitney and Kennedy lake. I'll come back to take more hikes with you soon.

I think that the 2nd one is a "potential" masterpiece, as the composition is balanced, and the warm color on the cliff is an excellent factor to the tone of picture.
But, the problem is that, firstly, the tree below is dark, it seems too heavy in the picture, you may lighten them up if possible (if you shot with RAW format, I think it's feasible to make such adjustment).
2nd, you need to adjust the color balance of the picture, make it warmer and highlight the red tone on cliff. that could be the key in my opinion~
and besides that, I think the left half of view seems comparatively "lighter" than the right, so, that's just a suggestion, you may add a moon at dusk in the sky of that half~

Thanks for your critique. I'll try that when I get home. I am shooting raw. I actually brightened the trees considerably.

Joel: yeah, it survived. My pop-up flash no longer works, so I have no fill-in on hikes and no commander for off-camera flash. I hope my wife can understand how devastating this is and allow me to upgrade. But, it has already been suggested that I just get it fixed instead.

Love the lines of the first shot.

Good luck with the wife. Mine still can't understand why I upgraded from a D70S to a D90, nor why I need additional lenses, a tripod, etc.

I'm still in discussions about my new car, as it will most likely be my last. I'm pushing for a BMW, and she thinks I should get another Hyundai.

The leading lines in #1 make that shot.
#2 is amazing. I would like to see if with a little more contrast and the trees in the foreground a little sharper, IMO, but I am envious.

Most reactions

Back