Two more attempts, C&C please and a ?

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Both were taken just using the natural light from a window.
1. I really like, but my husband says the shadow on her chin and neck doesn't look good. I think it draws more attention to her eyes. What are your opinions? And would it be good to use fill flash (which I worry would blow out the rest of her face) or something to bounce the light up at her?
DSC_0057.jpg

2. Are there rules for portraits lol I don't know if it's good or bad that one eye is out of focus. For some reason I think both eyes should be in focus but I still think its...interesting.
DSC_0140.jpg

I have yet to get her smiling. She jiggles when she smiles so they all come out blurry :grumpy: Thanks for your help

Very Cute.

I really like, but my husband says the shadow on her chin and neck doesn't look good. I think it draws more attention to her eyes. What are your opinions? And would it be good to use fill flash (which I worry would blow out the rest of her face) or something to bounce the light up at her?
I think it may be the way her neck is folded, rather than the actual shadow. I don't find the shadow itself distracting. I don't think that (on camera) flash would help here. The window light is doing a good job. A reflector might have put more light onto her...but I don't really think it needs it. Look at the shadows, they aren't very dark...that how you determine if or how much fill light you need.

Are there rules for portraits lol I don't know if it's good or bad that one eye is out of focus. For some reason I think both eyes should be in focus but I still think its...interesting.
There are 'rules'...but this is an art, so the rules are loose and were made to be broken. There is nothing wrong with having one eye out of focus...you just have a shot with a very shallow DOF. In this case, I think it might be better with a deeper DOF and both eyes in focus...but it doesn't have to be that way.

Most reactions

Back