TWO new cameras, in one week!

Flatline, the only problem is you're going to feel guilty every time you take a crappy picture with it. With a Leica, you're just not allowed that.

Wait... the manual said every picture will be a masterpiece! I didn't think a crappy pic was possible...

I swear, the salesman told me the more I spend, the better my pictures will get...

The "Shakey's" logo on the Diana clone interests me -- the lettering suggests that it was a promotional item, probably offered for a few bucks by the now-defunct Shakey's Pizza Parlor, a national chain in the late 60s and early 70s that trafficked in the fleeting craze for all things old-fashioned, such as player pianos, Scott Joplin, barbershop quartets in straw boaters and striped shirts (complete with suspenders and arm garters), your father's mustache, etc.

Flatline, the only problem is you're going to feel guilty every time you take a crappy picture with it. With a Leica, you're just not allowed that.

Contrary to popular belief, the percentage of crap photos taken with Leica gear is just as high as with any other brand.

I'm just very leery of cults. I own a vintage Leica, and have used several other models. They are very nice cameras. They always cost twice as much as similar quality gear, and the cult surrounding them is a bit obsessive for me. That said, if I could get a Leica MP for what I thought it was actually worth, I'm sure I'd love it.

Sheesh Matt, way to suck the fun out of my Happy Thread.

Oh well.

Montresor, a person who specializes in collectible toys found a box of about 50 Diana Clones from Shakey's Pizza, from the 1960s. He and another photographer have given these to certain photobloggers they like, and will be compiling the resulting work at some point in the future.

I got to be one of the lucky ones, so I will not disappoint. There are still two Shakey's in LA, one on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood (with a rather convenient all-you-can-eat lunch buffet!) where I will begin my Shakey Journey.

I hope you will post a couple of shots with the new Leica in this thread, so I don't have to go searching for them. (or at least links...)

I will, I will, or better yet: I'll pimp my blog and force traffic over there... as though it matters where people view my images.

It will be a few days. I got to NY from LA yesterday. I have some meetings here today, then I fly to Berlin this afternoon, getting there tomorrow. By Wednesday evening I have to be in Amsterdam, and the next day in London. I'll be back in Berlin over the weekend, and will hopefully get some shots then.

Wish me good flying weather, and a speedy recovery from jet lag. My wife and kids arrive in Berlin on Friday, that's when the trip gets difficult in terms of getting some pictures. They'll have to pose for me in the middle of the night: jet lag punishment!

Well, on one hand I'm jealous of your frequent traveling. Most people in my company who do frequent traveling are going to industrial areas of China, which are not as appealing as Europe.

I bet you get a lot of photo opps.? Does your company let you extend your trips and add vacation in? That is a good way to work it. I have a coworker who is doing something in Colorado now, and he's going to extend the trip for 4 days and do some skiiing.

I wish you good flying weather, but it won't do much good. London was wet today, forecast is wetter tomorrow, wetter still the next day, and probably biblical flooding by the end of the week. But hopefully you will arrive on the right day and with all your luggage... no guarantees at the moment... not that I'm trying to lessen your enthusiasm for your visit to our wonderful country :lol:

Oh, and...

Shakey Journey.

... sounds like a drug reference of some kind. Cheech and Chong's Shakey Journey?

Most reactions

Back