Two New Photos, C&C please?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Glycerol Sound, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Glycerol Sound

Glycerol Sound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not related to each other but I've been out everyday shooting everything and these are my two picks of the moment. Would like some feedback please!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As Sweet As...

[​IMG]
    Into the Open

On the second one, there is some post to bring out the green and I upped the contrast to make the darker parts darker... basically I wanted everything slightly saturated and really alive looking. A) The question I have here is how can I do this in the camera? I don't mind doing post-production, but I'd like to learn how to shoot better than use Photoshop/Aperture. Thank you!

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:

1. I have to admit, I'm not really getting a lot from #1 - what was your intent here? Assuming it was a product image, I would have preferred to see better lighting (it's a least a full stop under-exposed) and all of the front row of bottles. I think a position lower down and perhaps cropped just a little more tightly to eliminate the sign in the background would have been appropriate.

2. I understand your idea here, but it's not really working for me. The subject is too centred and the wires in the background are really distracting. This image is maybe 1/3 stop under-exposed as well.

With respect to your question, to improve saturation "in-camera" there are a few things. Shoot earlier or later in the day, use a polarizing filter, make sure your exposure is correct, and try shooting on a dark, cloudy or even rainy day.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. Glycerol Sound

Glycerol Sound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. It wasnt really shot to communicate anything, but I walked by a honey vendor in an open air market I frequent and I loved the way the light from the shelves shone up through the honey to create that rich golden color. I also love lines and rows, and I felt that the rows going in a diagonal direction sort of gave the photo some motion. I wish I could have made the DOF wider but the lighting indoors was poor so I worked with what I had. I really appreciate the feedback though, please don't take it all the wrong way

2. I appreciate the critique here, this wasn't a posed shot or anything, I was just shooting and I was like "hmm, this has potential" and did some post to it. And I ended up really liking it I guess haha.

Thank you for answering my question too, I think a friend of mine has a polarizing filter that I can mess with, so I'll check it out.