Two new portrait lighting tests (217k)

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the weekend I got a chance to play around with my new lights a little more while jr was taking a nap and I talked my wife into sitting down in front of my camera for a few minutes. These are two of the better ones I got. I think I may be starting to get results that are a bit closer to what I am looking for but I am still basically flying blind on this with no light meter and modeling lights that are almost unusable at anything below 3/4 power. I did do a little bit of editing on these although not on the lighting (ie no ev adj, curves, highlight/shadow, burn/dodge ect) just a little color tweaking, some imperfection retouching, and vignette at the bottom. I did a little more on the second and may have gone entirely too far :oops: Plus my posing still stinks and my wife said her hair was "icky" :confused:

Am I getting anywhere with this?

ang7510.jpg

ang7501.jpg

Looks really good! You've got the lighting very good - catchlights are good, nose shadows aren't too iffy and it's not flat and unbalanced.

Bit of practice and you'll be perfect!

Rob

I don't know what kind of power your lights have, but one thing you might want to try is having the power up and the lights further back. The closer the lights, the hotter the close parts of the subject look when compared to those further back.

The 2nd one looks great, color, clarity, exposure are all dead on. The catchlights are at a nice place in her eyes and she is very photogenic!

Most reactions

Back