two part question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Halfey, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Halfey

Halfey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hello
    1. im in the market for an entry/ intermediate level d-slr. the bottom line is that i want to be abel to make large prints
    (5 to 7 Foot wide or so) what how many pixels/ resolution will i need, better yet what camera would any of you recomend that will get me close to my desired print size?

2. i have noticed that some of the online retailers have significantley lower prices on d-slr's (sometimes as low as 1/2 the price of a brick and morder store). Are these lagitimate? should i avoid these? it almost seems to good to be true.
    thank you!

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    1) I would think most 10mp+ DSLRs should be able to produce a print of that size. Please also consider that the viewing distance of such a sized print is going to be pretty far (Look at a billboard up close... looks horrible )

2) many online retailers that show too good to be true prices are scams. As always, look them up on resellerratings.com before doing business with them. Avoid them at all cost.

Most here highly recommend B&H, Adorama (use links above) and KEH for used equipment.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with what usayit has said.

There are plenty of factors involved in the quality of an image, and the higher the quality, the better it will enlarge. For example, if you are going to make huge prints, you should always be using a good solid tripod, along with a remote release and mirror lock up mode. It also helps to have a good quality lens and to use an optimal aperture setting.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    KEH is selling some new equipment now as well as used.