Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p752353870-5.jpg

p149573861-5.jpg

Nice pics as usual Lew....pic 2 did you get any of the boys climbing up the post?

great pics. love the processing

is it just me, or do the two monks in #1 seem out of focus?

I belive they are called "Monkins" when they are that young.

Love the shots! I'm partial to #1.

What I like about the smaller towns is that, once you have been there for a day or so, and if you are friendly, you become a part of teh scenery and people, particularly children, go back to acting normally.

p340631919-5.jpg

p229025728-5.jpg

p247497826-5.jpg

Monkinis?

Because Buddhist men are required to be monks at least twice in their life, one sees many young monks who are only their for their required time and are just like adolescents and teens all over.
(please excuse the poor color - this was badly exposed but I wanted to keep it to remind me of Nong Khai)
p950829945-4.jpg
p194070928-5.jpg

This was on the Thai side of the Mekong in Nong Khai in the Province of Isan where the people actually identify themselves as Lao rather than Thai and where the local language is a dialect of Lao.
Nong Khai is in sharp contrast to the Lao side. It has modern everything, especially electricity and is supported reasonably well by the central Thai government. This is the poorest section of Thailand and it has the unfortunate reputation of sending young women to Bangkok to work in the massage parlors and bars. The locals look more Lao than Thai.
Tourists are mostly pass through on their way to Vientiane (across the bridge in the background) but there are a couple of good restaurants and a horde of low-cost places to sleep.
Baht are about 30 to the dollar so a fan room is $10, room with AC around $13. AC is low volume Japanese models and work only when you are in the room so one always comes back to a hot stuffy place to sleep.

p551963283-5.jpg

Great series! Hope to do more traveling while I'm over here in the pacific! Thanks for sharing Lew!

I came across quite an elaborate parade - and not being able to read Thai - I had no idea the reason for it.
But the costumes were sort of odd, there were some band instruments I has never seen and dressing the young girls up with lipstick and makeup seemed odd to me.

p601931704-5.jpg

p946969412-5.jpg

p573818247-5.jpg

p570536814-5.jpg

On our way to Laos in February, I spend a couple of days in the north of Thailand and then bus over the border to Laos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back