Two things I have done lately that have improved my work/fun with the D5100

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by greybeard, Apr 28, 2012.

1. greybeard

greybeard Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +297 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    1. Assign the ISO function to the self-timer button.
    CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU->f Controls->f1 Assign Fn button ISO

Coming from film, having control over ISO/ASA is a new thing to me. In the good/bad old days of film you set the ISO to what ever the film speed was and dealt with it for the entire roll. You could not change film speed in the middle of a roll. With these new fangled digital cameras ISO can be changed as easily as shutter and aperture. So why keep it buried in a menu, assign it to the self-timer button. Now, when you hold down the self-timer button and spin the control wheel, the ISO changes just like the other exposure controls. I think this really improves things.

2. Use a White/Gray card for WB setting.
    SHOOTING MENU->White balance->PRE Preset manual->Measure->Overwrite existing preset data? (and then take a picture of your gray card)

This procedure sets your D5100 to the existing light in the room. You have to do this every time your lighting changes but the white balance has been spot on for every thing I have shot using this method. I don’t use this for everything as it can be time consuming and I shoot RAW so I have control in PP.

These procedures are described in detail in the manual.

Just thought I’d pass this on.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +10,381 / 2
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Good suggestions, greybeard. The ability to use a "FUNC" button plus a camera control wheel to quickly enable or disable one's very own,personal, user-set custom FUNCtions is one of the Nikon innovations that have long earned the brand a reputation for superior ergonomics and control design ethos. Heck, even Canon has seen how well the Nikon FUNC button concept works, and has now introduced their very own version of the FUNC button! I agree with you on your amazement and joy about the ISO adjustability that these newfangled d-slr cameras have brought us! Need ISO 1,250 for ten frames? Need ISO 640 to give a little bit more flash bounce range? Want to bracket flash exposure results with an off-camera flash set to manual output control mode? ISO adjustment to the rescue!!!! It's pretty sweet--especially now that the very-newest sensors and cameras allow such good dynamic range and good color across more than just the base ISO values! Truly, we live in amazing times.
  3. otherprof

otherprof Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Thank you very much for the advice. I just assigned the ISO settings to the function button, and look forward to making use of this easy access to more control.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mrgiggls

Mrgiggls New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Good call....if I didn't have a ISO button on my D90 I'd probably do the same. I have learned that auto-ISO is not a good thing a lot of the time. Coincidentaly, the Fn on my D90 is set in a closely related area of exposure...metering. I have my D90 set to matrix but when I need to spot meter I simply press the Fn button and there it is.
  5. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,604 / 2
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Even back in the film days we did things to modify the ASA of the film. We occasionally set the ASA to a higher number, and "pushed" the developing process. Problem was, we had to process the entire roll to that specification. That is why some of us loaded some short rolls of only about ten shots when we knew before hand we were going to push the process. Of course, we often lost detail in the shadows, but the SPEED! When printing, we generally could burn in the detail areas a little to help.

Using the function button for the ISO is a good plan.
  6. zamanakhan

zamanakhan New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    I wish I could do this with the d7000, I would love to control all the settings without having to take my hand off the lens.
  7. TamiAz

TamiAz Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +365 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Perfect timing.. I just bought a gray card last week and haven't had a chance to play with it. Now I know how!! :D Thanks for the tip on using the self-timer for adjusting iso.. I use my AE-L/AF-L for focusing and I find it much easier to use.