Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thegraphic1982

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

Amateur photographer and graphic designer. Trying to start something and need to know how to take photos correctly. I currently use a Nikon D700 shooting RAW. I also use Adobe Lightroom to edit photos and place around presets and also apply filters but I still can't get that "magazine look." Trying to see if anyone can help, guide me or offer some suggestions: I took a photo of my 4Runner and a screenshot (of a Tundra) of what I am trying to do:
4Runner.jpg

Tundra.jpg

Welcome aboard.
Unless you have permission from the creator/owner, of that last photo, you need to remove it and post a link (TPF Rules).

I'm not a pro but the biggest thing in photography is controlling the light. Your truck looks flat and blown out - there isn't enough detail, especially around the front. A polarizing or even Neutral Density filer may have helped a bit. I'd also consider shooting it on concrete or asphalt - the grass is casting a green tint to the underside.

When I was in college I had a fraternity brother that worked for a manufacturer in their ad department as a detailer. I went out with him one time on a photoshoot. They would have 4 guys detailing a car for shoots. They would even armorall the treads of the tires!! If they moved the car. They would go back and detail any dirt off of it (again tread of tires). As for taking the pictures, they would put up large white screens to knock down the hard natural light. Some were stretched over rolling scaffolding. And one was tied between 2 big boom lifts. They had another boom lift for above lighting, and some scissor lifts for other lighting. I got a big lesson on how "real" commercial shoots go. I would say 95% or more was prep and set ups. 5% or less was actually taking the pictures.

To be honnest I had hope / daydreamed they would hire me as a photographer. Not at that event, but they would get to know me and eventually hire me. Get my foot in the door so to say. But once there, I knew they would not even talk to me with my experience level at the time!

You shot on a bright sunny day and did not even use a polarizer.
There is a LOT LOT LOT more work in the Magazine look.
The cars are cleaned within an inch of their lives, the exposure is spot on, if not bracketed and tone mapped.

You were simply standing while taking a shot of a truck that's too near the background. I don't see any thought and planning going into the shot.

You gotta think of the clouds, the angle of the light, the background, and the position of the camera.

Welcome to the forum. I know how you feel, the magazine images of cars are often hard to come close to when just pulling off the side of the road and grabbing a shot. What you have on your side is not having a deadline where you have to provide a shot that is going to make or beak a major product entry into a market.

I would forget trying settings to make a "look". Get a great exposure and work the compositions. You have a car and can try out all sorts of locations. I find the late afternoon at the beach works well for me.

Trying to start something and need to know how to take photos correctly.
Hello!

There are entire books written on how to do photography, and I'm not trying to put you off, but you could read books, articles, and web tutorials until you were sick of it, practice what you've learned for say about 10 years, invest in several thousand dollar's worth of lighting equipment, and then maybe you could get that magazine look.

Plus, you've selected a fairly difficult subject.

Just coming fairly close is going to take some study and practice, and that's assuming the project is worth spending some money on lighting gear.

Please do a search of the forums on that topic, because we've had that come up many times on here.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back