Type of fabric for a diffuser

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a real crafty girl and I want to make an elastic fabric cap (kind of like a shower cap) to go over my Alien bee to work as a diffuser. What type of fabric is good for a diffuser?

I have shoot through umbrellas but I still get hot spots with them at 1/32 with my newborn sessions, so help would be appreciated!

ripstop nylon and muslin work well., but a softbox would be your best bet for newborns.

I never heard of ripstop nylon. Do you know if they sell that a Joann's?

Sabrina, before you spend time on projects like this, really check out amazon.com . They have so many china made products that are so cheap, it is not even worth it trying to do DIY anymore. Check it out.

I still use bedsheets when I need a huge wash of light (I use California King size). But as far as something to put over an AB for use with an umbrella.... I have seen thin/opaque cutting boards that you can cut in the shape of a circle and use a hole punch for the umbrella.

I still use bedsheets when I need a huge wash of light (I use California King size). But as far as something to put over an AB for use with an umbrella.... I have seen thin/opaque cutting boards that you can cut in the shape of a circle and use a hole punch for the umbrella.

Hmmm.... something to think about! What do you think will work better... the opaque board or the ripstop fabric?

Sabrina, before you spend time on projects like this, really check out amazon.com . They have so many china made products that are so cheap, it is not even worth it trying to do DIY anymore. Check it out.

This is true. But as a DIYer the satisfaction of making it yourself can never beat cheap chinese child labor.

Be careful about putting things too close to the blub. These things can get hot and you don't want to keep that heat trapped.

This is true. But as a DIYer the satisfaction of making it yourself can never beat cheap chinese child labor.

I eat Chinese for breakfast!

I was taking pics of my friends newborn the other day in low light... I had to resort to my on-camera flash, but I popped a newborn white sock on it as a diffuser.

It looked funny, but it served its purpose. :)

Hello, I have a full body light diffuser that got burned by a candle :thumbdown: :(

Can anybody tell me how to patch it up??? its right at the edge and I dont want it to totally rip off the frame that's on........ HELP!!!!

I agree with trying a Lightbox instead of umbrella but as far as fabric I'd say nylon. Maybe try double layering the nylon as well. I wonder if anyone has tried that before?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back