Types of Photographer

allansiew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, Just a general photography question. How many different types of photographer are there in the world. For example, Celebrity Photographers, Wedding Photographers, Fashion Photographers.

Sports photography, wedding photography, architecture photography, hobbiest, nature photographer, still life photography, media/photo journalists, casual photographers, advertisement photography (photos specific to products), entertainment photographers, transportation photographers, just to name a few.

The standard groupings are:
Industrial and Architectural
Advertising & Editorial
Photo-journalists
Sports
Paparazzi
Fashion
Portrait & Wedding (sometimes called High Street Photographers)
General
Art
Medical
Glamour/Adult
Amateur

There are lots of sub-groups but they fit into one of the above. For example 'Landscape' is usually considered to be part of Art photography. The groups actually indicate a different approach or 'mind-set'.
You could see them as seperate 'breeds'.

Thanks, Hertz, for the categories. At last I know my "home" :).

AMATEUR! :)

No more. Just that.
I feel at home. Ha! :D

Marctwo said:
Come on, guys - what about glamour and p0rn. ;)
Sorry. I did forget them. It may suprise you to know that there are Advertising and Editorial photographers who sometimes dabble in these areas - it's a quick and easy way to pay a few bills. But there is no way I am going to explain how I know this :mrgreen:

I also forgot Fashion.

A quick edit then.

some more :) ...

Product Photography
Forensics / Evidence / Crime Scene
Aerial
Law Enforcement / Traffic Enforcement
Covert Surveillance
Insurance

Hertz van Rental said:
Sorry. I did forget them. It may suprise you to know that there are Advertising and Editorial photographers who sometimes dabble in these areas - it's a quick and easy way to pay a few bills. But there is no way I am going to explain how I know this :mrgreen:

I also forgot Fashion.

A quick edit then.

Awww, come on! Stories man! We need stories! Besides you can easily explain it as "budoir" photography. You know, that genre where bored housewives pay somebody to take risque (at the very least) shots of them under the pretenses of wanting to surprise their husband's but in reality they just always wanted to try it.:confused:

How about:

Know-it-all photographer
Hack photographer
Snap shooter
Gear masturbator

;)

Product and advertising Photography a.k.a commercial photographer

Most reactions

Back