U.S. stimulus check...

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got my check... probably weeks after most of the country as the last two digits of my SS number placed me at the bottom. Just curious.. what did all my fellow U.S. tax payers blow their check on? Anything interesting? New lens perhaps? Down on a new car?

As for me.... nothing really exciting. Feeling a bit more American and enjoying fatherhood lead me to the local toy store with my 19 month old son. We purchased a few things for him including a Radio Flyer Scooter. For our international TPF friends, the Radio Flyer brand is a synonymous with good O'classic American toys dating back to the early 1900s. It all started with that cute red wooden wagon that many of us probably have in our childhood memories.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2650924

I put it together last night after my son's bed time (and trying really hard to ignore the "made in China" sticker... sheeesh!!!). I was surprised to see much of the ol'steel construction that is missing in today's toy products. One of the welds was pretty darn ugly but at least it would be covered. Son woke up this morning to a big smile and just hopped on it learning to scoot around the house. Yes... he has discovered the bell.... I am still hearing it even as I sit here at work... TING .. TING ... TING ... TING TING..

The rest of the stimulus check went into savings and the final payment to a credit card.

Stimulus check???????

Are you saying that the american government is giving out free money :shock:

its like chinnese water torture those bells ;)

As for construction - few things these days are built to last - camera lenses and tripods I think are some of the few things made with the idea of actually lasting more than a few years! Most other stuff is made by the maxim:
Keep it going till the warrenty is out - then sell them another one!

my father claimed me as a dependent so he could deduct my last semester of college that he paid for so i received no stimulus check :(

my father claimed me as a dependent so he could deduct my last semester of college that he paid for so i received no stimulus check :(

FYI: A portion of that stimulus check is yours actually.... you paid taxes and you father got something like $300 for each dependent. Check IRS gov for details.

On the other hand..... let your father have the money. He's nice enough to pay for your last semester of college.

So that is what it is called when you make your tax declaration and get the money back that you spent on taxes but it actually was too much? "Stimulous Check"? That's a new one for me. Must keep that word in mind.
I wonder, however, if the expression is all American, and what the British people call it (maybe something different?)?
I think that with your monthly tax deduction you pay a little too much in every country and get some back when you make your declaration.
Well, I never get anything back since I don't have an income of my own, so I cannot say what I WOULD buy from it ... ;)

I don't think it really would have mattered, even if he didn't claim you, you wouldn't have been able to get it because you were "able" to be claimed. It sucks, because my girlfriends father didn't claim her, but she missed out because he could of. :thumbdown:

same sad story with me. :hug:: it's ok.

So that is what it is called when you make your tax declaration and get the money back that you spent on taxes but it actually was too much?

It is a separate, one-off payment from the usual refund of overpaid taxes. Not all taxpayers are eligible - I'm not, because even though I have a piece of paper that says that I am a significant public benefit, I am also a nonresident alien. You already knew I was an alien, didn't you?

Best,
Helen

So that is what it is called when you make your tax declaration and get the money back that you spent on taxes but it actually was too much? "Stimulous Check"? That's a new one for me. Must keep that word in mind.

Nope.. it is seperate from a refund. This is a one-time payment from the federal government to help stimulate the economy via consumer spending (hopefully on U.S. made goods and services). Two problems which most U.S. citizens recognize (and the gov seems oblivious). So little is made here in the U.S. (trade def, free trade agree, china favored nation status, globalization, high cost of health etc... another discussion) that most of the money will still go overseas albeit indirectly (as PNA pointed out). The other issue is that people are hurting financially thus most of us know the smartest thing to do is put it in the bank or pay off debts. You can't convince me spending the money is the wisest choice when I my future income is in question. If times were different, I would have blown the check on a 24mm Leica Elmarit but then again... if times were better, there would be no "stimulus check".

BUT.. I did spend some of it.... My son's new Red Flyer is cute and he's happy. Red Flyer is based in Chicago (again ignoring the made in china sticker). The rest went to the final last payment to CC and the savings.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/background/stimulus/2008.cfm

I'm still hoping that someone was comfortable and in a good position to spend the stimulus check on something interesting to talk about.... Can't wait to take my son outside for a spin on his new scooter.

My Dodge is made in the U.S.... yah!! (ignoring the fact that the turbo is made in Japan).

I don't think it really would have mattered, even if he didn't claim you, you wouldn't have been able to get it because you were "able" to be claimed. It sucks, because my girlfriends father didn't claim her, but she missed out because he could of. :thumbdown:
thats not true.
i graduated college, i live on my own, i have a full time job, i pay all my own expenses. he paid my expenses for 4.5/12 months...........he paid for a semester's worth of school that he claimed for tax reasons. had he not, the check would have been mine.

So what you saying is, your dad made you get horrible trainers? If you've have got the cheque you could have afforded nice ones.

Rather than giving money to people to give to foreign trade you'd think they'd use the money to help existing companies and new. Shock horror, a short-sighted government.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back