Uber - Today's #1 WORST Corporation

I thought Bitcoin was on its way out...

My understanding is its had a big revival and has even caused some graphics cards to have limited stocks as people build mining machines. I think that its essentially the current "get rich quick and free" method being used and likely will until it either folds or gets regulated/legislated.
As of today Bitcoin is at $8,000! Problem is the big swings.

Couldn't pay me to get in one of those anyways. No way to tell who is going to pick you up, have heard one too many horror stories.

I thought Bitcoin was on its way out...

My understanding is its had a big revival and has even caused some graphics cards to have limited stocks as people build mining machines. I think that its essentially the current "get rich quick and free" method being used and likely will until it either folds or gets regulated/legislated.

I think it's other forms of cryptocurrency that is is causing the inflation. Bitcoin is already exuberantly expensive to both mine and buy, however a currency like Ethereum is still cost effective and easier to mine (I think). I'm not sure when Bitcoin will collapse, but there are always new currencies coming up to take its place.

let me whip out my old rotary phone and give the old cab company a call!

Go on, continue missing the point.
many cab companies are going towards using an App too using the same methodology, just around Employees of a Cab company.

==> Square Will Replace Meters in Washington Taxis

But can they compete on price? Where I live, you can take Lyft/Uber for 1/3 the cost of a taxi.

I'd rather pay full price and know that in the event of an accident, I am protected by the driver's insurance. Pay peanuts and what do you get? I won't get in an uber car.

Pay peanuts and what do you get?

I mean, I've never had a good experience in a taxi either. Ranging from terrifying traffic decisions to strange anti-American diatribes and taking the longest possible route while assuming I'm a tourist and don't know any better, I'd rather pay less and take my chances I guess.

Taxi companies can either adapt or die. That's the way of capitalism.

That being said, Uber is a **** company and I try not to use them if I can help it.

Objecting to Uber does not mean praising cabs. There are plenty of things wrong with that system as well, and I avoid cabs when I can. However, if someone is going to go for a ride-share program, at least go for one that isn't so abjectly unethical. There are other options now. One does not have to support rape and fraud just to save a few bucks.

Uber vs. Lyft: This is the ultimate ridesharing app showdown

ETA: No, I don't mean "Choose Lyft" specifically. I'm just saying that Uber has competition now, and if you don't like cabs OR Uber, there are options.

Uber has filed an appeal in a California case, where it was ruled that Uber is an employer. Uber maintains it is only a communication line (for lack of a better term), putting driver and rider together only.

Uber require drivers to work a certain number of hours. Uber sets the fees drivers get. Uber controls how and when the driver gets paid. Their drivers are employees. Uber is just using drivers as "contractors" so that the drivers take on the overhead, insurance,ect. Uber is just cheating the game and operating and lower costs.

The cost Uber saves is just pushed onto the driver and that's why they only last 6mo-12mo. The time it takes to run a car down and not have the money to maintain it.

In addition, über doesn't yet have to be profitable, as they can burn venture capital to subsidize operations. When it has to really be a business and make $ I don't see the current model working. Maybe it will change the way some things get done but prices will have to increase and that is, as near as I can tell, the only thing they have going for them.

Uber has a history of trying to evade rules, regulations and authorities. Hopefully the new CEO will steer them in the correct direction as he's uncovering more stuff that they've done in the past.

Example of an authority bypassing technology
".. Uber’s use of a software tool called Greyball, which the company developed in part to aid entrance into new markets where its service was not permitted. The tool allowed Uber to deploy what was essentially a fake version of its app to evade law enforcement agencies that were cracking down on its service."
==> Uber Faces Federal Inquiry Over Use of Greyball Tool to Evade Authorities

It is my understanding that Uber's business plan is (and always has been) to eventually be using driverless cars. The fact that they have to deal with drivers is a short term irritant that they hope will soon be gone.

It is my understanding that Uber's business plan is (and always has been) to eventually be using driverless cars. The fact that they have to deal with drivers is a short term irritant that they hope will soon be gone.

I honestly don't see driverless cars being a thing for decades yet.
You might get them in cities sooner, but even then I'd wager they wouldn't take off as fast as some are thinking. People forget how computer pathfinding is still being worked on; to deal with all the random things that can be thrown at a machine even before you add things like pedestrians!

Also there's a trust element; the train systems are still run with drivers who control the trains themselves. I don't see people trusting machines all that fast (and those fast-adaptors who likely have automatic hoovers in their homes - yeah - they've likely seen the thing bump into a wall ten times; get lost; stuck; do something stupid enough to think twice about having a car on automatic).

If Uber is planning on driverless cars then its one of those "in 30-40 year" pie in the sky plans. They also likely hope that they'll be in a good position to take over by sneaking in with the new tech faster than established firms; plus their business model tends to be one- way with the money so they'd have cash to burn on big investment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back