Uber - Today's #1 WORST Corporation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KmH, Nov 22, 2017.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I mean, I've never had a good experience in a taxi either. Ranging from terrifying traffic decisions to strange anti-American diatribes and taking the longest possible route while assuming I'm a tourist and don't know any better, I'd rather pay less and take my chances I guess.

Taxi companies can either adapt or die. That's the way of capitalism.

That being said, Uber is a **** company and I try not to use them if I can help it.

3. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Objecting to Uber does not mean praising cabs. There are plenty of things wrong with that system as well, and I avoid cabs when I can. However, if someone is going to go for a ride-share program, at least go for one that isn't so abjectly unethical. There are other options now. One does not have to support rape and fraud just to save a few bucks.

Uber vs. Lyft: This is the ultimate ridesharing app showdown

ETA: No, I don't mean "Choose Lyft" specifically. I'm just saying that Uber has competition now, and if you don't like cabs OR Uber, there are options.

4. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm glad I own 4 cars.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fstop-

Fstop- TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Uber require drivers to work a certain number of hours. Uber sets the fees drivers get. Uber controls how and when the driver gets paid. Their drivers are employees. Uber is just using drivers as "contractors" so that the drivers take on the overhead, insurance,ect. Uber is just cheating the game and operating and lower costs.

The cost Uber saves is just pushed onto the driver and that's why they only last 6mo-12mo. The time it takes to run a car down and not have the money to maintain it.

6. Jamesaz

Jamesaz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In addition, über doesn't yet have to be profitable, as they can burn venture capital to subsidize operations. When it has to really be a business and make $ I don't see the current model working. Maybe it will change the way some things get done but prices will have to increase and that is, as near as I can tell, the only thing they have going for them.

7. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    Uber has a history of trying to evade rules, regulations and authorities. Hopefully the new CEO will steer them in the correct direction as he's uncovering more stuff that they've done in the past.

Example of an authority bypassing technology
    ".. Uber’s use of a software tool called Greyball, which the company developed in part to aid entrance into new markets where its service was not permitted. The tool allowed Uber to deploy what was essentially a fake version of its app to evade law enforcement agencies that were cracking down on its service."
    ==> Uber Faces Federal Inquiry Over Use of Greyball Tool to Evade Authorities

8. kap55

kap55 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It is my understanding that Uber's business plan is (and always has been) to eventually be using driverless cars. The fact that they have to deal with drivers is a short term irritant that they hope will soon be gone.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I honestly don't see driverless cars being a thing for decades yet.
    You might get them in cities sooner, but even then I'd wager they wouldn't take off as fast as some are thinking. People forget how computer pathfinding is still being worked on; to deal with all the random things that can be thrown at a machine even before you add things like pedestrians!

Also there's a trust element; the train systems are still run with drivers who control the trains themselves. I don't see people trusting machines all that fast (and those fast-adaptors who likely have automatic hoovers in their homes - yeah - they've likely seen the thing bump into a wall ten times; get lost; stuck; do something stupid enough to think twice about having a car on automatic).

If Uber is planning on driverless cars then its one of those "in 30-40 year" pie in the sky plans. They also likely hope that they'll be in a good position to take over by sneaking in with the new tech faster than established firms; plus their business model tends to be one- way with the money so they'd have cash to burn on big investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    Trying to go driverless was the reason Uber was banned in California for testing driverless technology back in 2016 (one car ran 6 red lights), even though they denied it was driverless, of which they then were found out to be lying as it was driverless. ==> A self-driving Uber ran a red light last December, contrary to company claims

They essentially, since not buying a permit, was able to skirt having to document any issues of the self driving cars. Essentially Uber has been trying to be at the bleeding edge, steal technology from other companies, steal drivers, thwart authorities efforts, etc. You'd think they were a subsidiary of North Korea. lol

11. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    they don't force children to pull rickshaws, then kill them off if they pick up someone late or take too long or pay them with some rice if they succeed.

12. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

My post was merely meant to cite Uber's concept of their driver/Uber relationship.

Uber's not the only company who maintains they don't have employees. The employer/employee definition has usually meant that the employer provides a workplace; and in some instances equipment, especially those which the employee may not typically have in the tool box. Auto repair shops are great examples.

"1099" workers are generally independent "contractors". The hiring company doesn't supply work space, equipment (generally), work clothing, etc.

By their very business model, they believe that they can circumvent the punitive fees, taxes, etc., that governments use to monopolize taxi services.