µFourThirds to the Test

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by chuasam, Sep 23, 2017.

1. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I rather like my micro 4/3 Olympus Pen. Sure, its image quality is not as good as my EOS 80D but it is a lot more portable when about other duties. If I am going shopping with Bestbeloved it is the Pen I take, not the DSLR.

In good light, the IQ is fine - I have a A3 print from it in a refereed exhibition at the moment. If I am really concerned about IQ, it will be my Bronica, not a digital at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought you post was highly pointless. Many of the points you make are irrelevant or erroneous.

To camera users the estimated wholesale cost of the sensor itself is meaningless - it's the camera as a whole that gets purchased.
    MFT lenses are not automatically harder to design, most of the lenses I've used with mine (admittedly not the most frequently used ones) were designed before MFT came out - many that don't work with my DSLR work perfectly with MFT. In most cases f5.6 is quite workable in MFT, but if I need f1.2 it's achievable much cheaper than with a DSLR.

Despite your claims my MFT bag is significantly lighter than my DSLR bag when both have a similar range of native lenses. This is despite the fact the MFT bag has an extra body! (The extra is IR converted)
    Most of the time the MFT is the kit I'll take, with the DSLR bag being mainly reserved for low light & motorsports etc.

I'm pretty sure I'll still be shooting MFT in 5-10 years :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    People said the same about 1/4 plate, then roll film, then 35 mm. For over 150 years the trend has been towards smaller sensors and that will continue until we are using individual quarks to form pixels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    _A020254.JPG
    I would have been too lazy to photograph my Phad Thai if I had to carry a big camera.

_A020259.jpg
    Pandan Chicken...

I mean with a MFT I am more inclined to carry a camera.
    Having photos much better than not having any.

_A020255.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    _A060335.jpg _A060325.jpg PA070010.jpg
    Performs admirably in low light

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

As technology advances, big sensors and big cameras and lenses are becoming less relevent. People have a natural tendency to fight change. It is perfectly normal. If I were to buy a second system (not likely) it would probably have a smaller sensor than my APS-C format system.

My first camera was a Speed Graphic - a rather large 4X5 format press camera. It made dandy images but was miserable to carry around. The flash gun was bigger than a modern digital SLR with a telephoto zoom. 35mm cameras were considered miniature cameras and were popular for their size and weight if not their image quality.

We are back there again with digital imaging but miniature is now large to many folks like me. I have a tiny point and shoot camera with a telescoping zoom lens that fits in a shirt pocket easily. I wish it provided images of the same quality I get from the APS-C system. Perhaps one day its successors will.

• Like Like x 2
  7. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    _A130673.jpg _A130659.jpg
    View from our hotel room. Works fine in low light
    _A130464.jpg _A130462.jpg
    Same view in the day

Hotel pool day and night
    _A130521.jpg _A130554.jpg _A140693.jpg _A130571.jpg _A130567.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    after 3 weeks of vacation, I have concluded that the EM5 II is a sufficient camera to be the only one during an extended vacation or a really good option for amateurs.

I asked my GF if she could switch to a micro43 system for her professional work but her biggest gripe was the lack of onsite professional support at large events. Something like CPS or NPS during the Olympics.

9. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Thanks for posting this hands-on review. I think there is a definite spot in the bag for a camera that one can grab to take along where size, weight and conspicuousness are issues. Right now I just use the smallish crop sensor body with the 35mm DX lens, although it does seem like overkill when the rest of the crowd is using cell phones to take pictures (often in conditions where the cell phone still struggles to give a decent image).

Just wondering if you truly felt the need for an interchangeable lens body for your travel camera, or if you could have used a fixed lens model - my inclination is a fixed prime lens. Also, for a travel camera I do not see the big need for having a shallow depth of field - why go somewhere and come back with pictures of people where the background no longer gives a sense of location. So this is where m43rds works and I agree with you on that.

However, I still like to travel to for the purpose to photograph - and those images are often the ones I print. So a question is can I still print to 11x17 or 16x24 with m43rds - do you print any of your travel pictures or are they more for sharing on-line?

10. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit

a few more posted from my computer now that I'm home...
    _9290098.jpg _A090384.jpg _A130631.jpg _A130488.jpg _A130475.jpg

I have to admit that the customisation functions of the EM5 II were a bit much and I had it mostly default and shot in Aperture mode for the most part.