ug, err 99! help!

jerseygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so hubby buys me the canon 50 mm 1.4 lens i wanted :heart: but i place it on my digital rebel and get err 99!

i checked the manual, and err 99 is the generic i-have-no-clue-eject-and-reinsert battery. i do that and am able to get the lens to respond, but the AF is bizarre and doesn't want to cooperate. i finally am able to get some focus, snap a shot, and bam, err 99 :banghead: every few shots this happens...

what is going on? is it the lens? my camera? the connection of the two? i place another lens on and all is well, so there's something strange going on...

what to try? do i return this asap?

I would inspect that the plates (wrong word) betweent eh lens and the camera aren't covered by anything, ie. dust. After that I would probably end up taking it to my local camera store :S sorry I am not much help.

Try using a new pencil eraser and erasing the gold contacts. May help. Worked with digital phones for years and this solved many problems with battery to cell phone contacts.

i searched and found this link last night, thanks! i cleaned the contacts with a cloth, remounted the lens, took out the battery, flipped the AF/MF button, and yup, it started to work...

however i am able to trigger the err 99 again if i "want" to, and that doesn't sit well with me because i feel it can come and go when it feels like it. i guess my question now is, is this something to be expected when using new lenses? or should i not have this problem right out of the box. if i exchange it for another one i'm hoping not to have the same problems...reasonable assumption?

this shouldn't happen really. Might be worth investigating with Canon.

also, i don't find the AF to be "quick". i find that it has trouble finding the correct spot and struggles to make the focus. i am able to trigger the err 99 with certain aperture and distance from object combos (usually the extremes) :confused:.

should it be this difficult? is it me or potentially a defective lens?

I would see if you or your husband can exchange it for a different one, at the place where it was purchased. If that won't work, then you may need to send the lens and maybe the camera into Canon.

I would see if you or your husband can exchange it for a different one, at the place where it was purchased. If that won't work, then you may need to send the lens and maybe the camera into Canon.
i got the lens at B&H, i have 2 weeks to return...as of now i'm planning to go in myself with my camera body and test out another one...

Most reactions

Back