ug, err 99! help!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jerseygirl, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

so hubby buys me the canon 50 mm 1.4 lens i wanted :heart: but i place it on my digital rebel and get err 99!

i checked the manual, and err 99 is the generic i-have-no-clue-eject-and-reinsert battery. i do that and am able to get the lens to respond, but the AF is bizarre and doesn't want to cooperate. i finally am able to get some focus, snap a shot, and bam, err 99 :banghead: every few shots this happens...

what is going on? is it the lens? my camera? the connection of the two? i place another lens on and all is well, so there's something strange going on...

what to try? do i return this asap?

2. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would inspect that the plates (wrong word) betweent eh lens and the camera aren't covered by anything, ie. dust. After that I would probably end up taking it to my local camera store :S sorry I am not much help.

3. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. PhotoHeather

PhotoHeather TPF Noob!

Try using a new pencil eraser and erasing the gold contacts. May help. Worked with digital phones for years and this solved many problems with battery to cell phone contacts.

5. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

i searched and found this link last night, thanks! i cleaned the contacts with a cloth, remounted the lens, took out the battery, flipped the AF/MF button, and yup, it started to work...

however i am able to trigger the err 99 again if i "want" to, and that doesn't sit well with me because i feel it can come and go when it feels like it. i guess my question now is, is this something to be expected when using new lenses? or should i not have this problem right out of the box. if i exchange it for another one i'm hoping not to have the same problems...reasonable assumption?

6. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this shouldn't happen really. Might be worth investigating with Canon.

7. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

also, i don't find the AF to be "quick". i find that it has trouble finding the correct spot and struggles to make the focus. i am able to trigger the err 99 with certain aperture and distance from object combos (usually the extremes) :confused:.

should it be this difficult? is it me or potentially a defective lens?

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would see if you or your husband can exchange it for a different one, at the place where it was purchased. If that won't work, then you may need to send the lens and maybe the camera into Canon.

9. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

i got the lens at B&H, i have 2 weeks to return...as of now i'm planning to go in myself with my camera body and test out another one...