Ugh Grain !

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok I just got my Ilford shots back this morning, taken in New Orleans a few weeks ago, and god the grain is killin me !!

I had Ilford ISO 3200 in and forgot to change my camera setting accordingly, so it stayed at 400... :cry:

If ONLY I had bloody checked my settings !! They're decent shots but the grain kinda ruins it for me...

Here's an example:

DancingInTheStreet.jpg

Oh if I only had a DSLR this wouldnt have happened !

Anyways, I need someones help. If I print this roll, can the developer somehow do something to fix the grain, even a little ?

Also, question for the photoshoppers, how can I fix it there ?

actually, that happens with DSLRs all the time, people just accidentally leave it at high ISOs :D

there is something called Neat Image that is amazing at taking out grain and noise. I think it's free too, but i'm not sure. just google it.

Luminosity, the only thing I can think of is duplicating the layer in photoshop then applying the Median Filter (in Filter>Noise) by just 1 or 2 pixels. Then apply that level with blending option of maybe verlay or multiply then try different opacities and altering the contrast, levels etc on the lower image.

Not actually knowing this, I'd say there is too much grain there to even begin trying to sort it out. You can't add information to the photograph and when you get rid of the grain you're going to need to replace it with something. I think you're going to have to replace too much. If that makes any sense.

That being said, I do like it. It may not have been what you had in mind and when I first saw it I was taken aback by it. But, it's grown on me. I really like it. I'd call it a happy accident.

Luminosity said:
I had Ilford ISO 3200 in and forgot to change my camera setting accordingly, so it stayed at 400... :cry:
Sorry, I'm confused.:confused:

How does that make them more grainy? I thought the grain was just the property of the film and shooting at a lower ISO would just make you over-expose?

I'm new to film so I don't expect to know all of it's quirks.

can I edit it?! And try removing the noise?

Marctwo said:
Sorry, I'm confused.:confused:

How does that make them more grainy? I thought the grain was just the property of the film and shooting at a lower ISO would just make you over-expose?

I'm new to film so I don't expect to know all of it's quirks.

Oh, dont get me wrong... I wasnt saying that the lower setting added grain. I'm just saying all the things I did wrong. I should have stuck with Ilford 400 as the photos I took with the 400 came out with some grain, but smoother.

Looks like I'll have to go back to Nawlins when in a few years and have another go.

Over exposure will tend to increase grain, particularly if it was developed for the normal times for ISO 3200.

Besides over-exposure, increased grain can also be caused by:
choice of developer
high development temps
longer than normal development times
increased agitation during development
variations in the temperature of the processing chems

Karalee said:
hey bella,

I just ran it real quick through helicon (a noise filter) and came up with this

Untitled-1_hnf_90.jpg

So you should be able to clear this stuff up to a certain extent.

Sweetz, you're a godsend!!! :hugs:

Thanks for the feedback as well Matt !

Gotta find somewhere that can reduce the grain when it comes time to get prints now.

ksmattfish said:
Over exposure will tend to increase grain...
Interesting. Would under-exposing have the opposite effect? Anyone know any good articles covering the subject?

Luminosity: NR at this resolution will be very misleading. It'll be a very different job on a hi-res printable version. Although you may only want a web version.

How did you digitise the image? I'd be interested to see a 100% crop of a detailed area.

Karalee said:
hey bella,

I just ran it real quick through helicon (a noise filter) and came up with this

Untitled-1_hnf_90.jpg

So you should be able to clear this stuff up to a certain extent.
Well spank my arse and call me Betsy! You've got yourself a good edit there and shot me down!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back