Ugh... so irritated... noise in pics? *pictures*

Any more tips would be appreciated. I'm still thinking it's the lens. It has been having a lot of problems and the bigger lens gives much better results even under the same conditions.

No, it isn't the lens. It is, to be blunt, that you don't seem to know what you are doing.

Considering I haven't even started college yet that could very well be the case. I'm taking a photography course this fall. I'm not saying the lens is low quality and I'm not blaming it. It's actually a very good quality lens. But it's BROKEN. That's a proven fact; the CPU connectors are broken and none of the connections were working correctly last night. When connected, it sometimes acts like a non CPU lens and the F-- blinks at the top, and it won't even shoot unless it's in manual mode. That's not causing the noise directly but it was messing it up to some degree - it went from working one minute to not working the next. I bought a cleaner/lubricant that seemed to fix the problem but it stopped working once I got to the destination site. I'm not saying a working lens doesn't have the ability to shoot low-noise photos, but since this one is not working correctly, it's not consistent. And for everyone saying I should use low ISO - I would, but since most of my photography includes moving images and backgrounds (such as a crashing wave and lots of candid shots) lowering the ISO is not the best option for me, even with a tripod.

"Using a 5 generations past sensor, the D70, which is not known for great sensor response in underexposure situations."

Does this not suggest the camera/sensor was at least part of the problem?

So, considering I had my f-stop open to about 4(in some of the pictures, though not all), and the pictures still turned out noisy, and I can't use a much lower ISO, what are my options?

Sorry to come across as argumentative.

A good tradesman never blames his tools, you need to learn how to use it to it's best i still use my old 1Dmk1 which have a similar sensor to yours and was renown for being bad with high ISO's but if you know how to use it to its best it is not that bad
Here's a shot from a few years ago shot at ISO1600, your camera will get much better results if your use it properly the exif say you shot in Auto

146290213_uCUP7-M.jpg

Auto......that explains it.

Libs, the camera is judging the overall scene, which was backlit. So it compensated by making everything dark. Had you simply shot in Manual mode, as the photo above, all would have been fine.

This is further proof of why you should never let your camera's brain go before yours. It can only guess. That is why your brain needs the info to tell IT what it needs to do for you.

This all comes down to an inexperienced camera owner pretending to be a professional photographer when she clearly is in way over her head. She has not learned the very basic skills required to charge anyone. Buy a book, stop making excuses and learn "how" light works. Might not be a bad idea to learn how to focus manualy, just in case the auto pilot on your lens stops working again.

Hate to say it, but you have no business doing pro photography with your level of knowledge...
If I must post all the wonderful testimonials and reviews from countless people who say my photos are better than those who have been in their profession for years, I will, but that seems a little unnecessary.

OMG!

This thread is GOLD!

How did I miss it?

Please continue!

I mentioned to the clients my lens wasn't working correctly and that I wouldn't charge for the photo shoot, but they didn't mind. I'm working at a professional photography studio now who I'm hoping to borrow equipment from them. I'm getting a new lens as soon as I get back from vacation.

Your business ethics suck.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still on the first page. It's surprising how many people don't seem to have much else to do except telling others their photography knowledge sucks on the Internet! But, as for me, I have been practicing with aperture, shutter speed, and a little ISO, talking to pros about what they feel is the problem, and keeping the camera off automatic at all times. I also shot in RAW, and I liked it, but I am going to continue shooting in JPEG for awhile. Or JPEG/RAW.

Sooo.... here are some photos I took of my horse today. None are perfect. But, I feel like I have made some improvement. All photos are straight out of the camera, no editing. The last is RAW, and is (obviously) edited. I mostly did that for fun. And I really do appreciate those who actually gave me tips on how to improve my photography - that's the reason I joined the forum! I hope you guys can give more feedback.

2dahyso.jpg

2ztg2fc.jpg

ofvngw.jpg

2h2noki.jpg

17w8xx.jpg

Last edited:
Any more tips would be appreciated. I'm still thinking it's the lens. It has been having a lot of problems and the bigger lens gives much better results even under the same conditions.

No, it isn't the lens. It is, to be blunt, that you don't seem to know what you are doing.
Agree.........plus NEVER shoot in Auto
Below picture shot at 6400 ISO and hand held without flash
Siem_Reap_Dancing_Girls23082011_0226-2.jpg

Is it possible you are shooting with AUTO ISO on? I don't have this camera but believe this camera has this option and could be affecting settings.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Hi Joe,

I was shooting on automatic the day of the shoot, so the auto ISO was on. Now I am shooting manual, on 200 ISO currently.

Hi Joe,

I was shooting on automatic the day of the shoot, so the auto ISO was on. Now I am shooting manual, on 200 ISO currently.
-
I would stay away from the Auto ISO setting and try to stay in contol. Bright backgrounds etc. are tough to meter at first and don't rely on your camera to meter it correctly. Learn how to do it in Manual as you are doing that way if all else fails you can get the image you want.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Most reactions

Back