ughmm... ::dumb question here::

itsjustbrandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ahh.. okay :blushing:..
This maaay seem like a dumb question to most, but I have tried looking thru the posts and I haven't found it.. :confused:
If I am wanting to do a little editing in photoshop before printing, putting it on the web, etc.. should I be editing the photo at its original full size before sizing it down?? And should I be sizing it down, even, before I send it off to be printed or should it stay at the org size? And if that's the case, could someone recommend a site or some knowledge that would help with what size, pixels etc.. need to be for printing images at different sizes i.e. 4x6, 8x10 etc.

needy... i know :lol:

but thanks, I apprecitate any help

Last edited:
Defnitely edit at full size.

I'll let someone else answer the second part ot your question, though I think it doesn't matter along as the pixel ratio is right for the size of print you want.

Edit at full size and always put the full size on a CD or else it'll come out all pixel-y when printed.

ahh.. okay :blushing:..
This maaay seem like a dumb question to most, but I have tried looking thru the posts and I haven't found it.. :confused:
If I am wanting to do a little editing in photoshop before printing, putting it on the web, etc.. should I be editing the photo at its original full size before sizing it down?? And should I be sizing it down, even, before I send it off to be printed or should it stay at the org size? And if that's the case, could someone recommend a site or some knowledge that would help with what size, pixels etc.. need to be for printing images at different sizes i.e. 4x6, 8x10 etc.

needy... i know :lol:

but thanks, I apprecitate any help
Was the original image captured as a RAW data file (12 or 14 bits, the best for editing), a JPEG (the camera has already edited the image, 8 bit file now), or a TIFF (Not use to often to capture images, 16 bit file?)?

Leave the image as large as possible and convert it to a 16-bit file in the ProPhotoRGB color space before you edit anything.

All the edit functions are available to an 8-bit image, only some are available in 16-bit mode. Do the 16-bit edits first and if your using Photoshop CS4 make all the edits (even 8-bit edits) as adjustment layers whenever possible, so the edits are non-destructive. you'll have to convert back to an 8-bit file to use all the editing tools.

If you're going to crop save it till near the end. The last thing you need to do is convert the file from ProPhotoRGB to sRGB and save it as a JPEG at a quality setting of at least 10 if you're ever going to print it.

Process the original just how you took it. I am assuming you took it as a jpeg not in raw.
The resize it to the size you want to print it at in Photoshop.
If you are going to print it at 8x10 set the crop ratio to 8x10 (or whatever size) and then crop the photo to that size.

Most reactions

Back