Ugly outside, where good to photograph family?

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have you ever done a family session when it was.... well, ugly outside? Where did you take the pictures? Any idea on locations for me? What makes good backgrounds if everything seems to be dead? Has anyone done family portraits at a hotel lobby? Any ideas for me would be great!

I was actually thinking the same question, I suppose it partially depends the size of the group, but I think that doing it in a relatively urban area can be nice (at least for a couple). I'm not sure what I would do about larger groups.

It depends on how cold it is where you are.

If it's not too cold to still go outside, I would suggest old buildings or a botanical garden. In Houston, there was a Japanese garden that had great buildings and the greenery looked great year round.

As for shooting in a hotel lobby, I would contact the hotel to see if they'd be okay with it.

Is there anywhere you could shoot inside the family's home? If you want to shoot with backdrops, you can set up just about anywhere.

What do you consider 'Ugly'?

Overcast skies can be great...it's like the whole sky is a softbox. Just try to compose your shots so they don't have the sky in them.

Anywhere you have stairs, could be a good place for groups.

If you have nice looking locations, then you have the option of including the surrounds....but if you don't have nice locations, then just get in close and concentrate on the group and their faces.

If out side is completely off limits. One place to try is your local shopping malls keep in mind you will need management approval first and it may cost you. But it can be so beneficial, for others passing by or watching have an assistant hand out cards or brochures. Plus they usually already have things decorated for you.
P.S. stay out of my malls

Get to know someone who owns an antique store if you don't already. If they have a corner to set up with furniture and brick-a-brac for an impromptu studio and will do so then they have active advertising. It's a win/win so it shouldn't be too hard to set it all up!

Having someone bringing new people to your store that wouldn't otherwise know about you is a Good Thing. And they can reciprocate by telling people about you when they ask about "your" corner.

If you do weddings you might want to try talking your favorite bakery/caterers into setting up a sidewalk cafe type display that will show off their wares when you shoot people there. This done for the same hand in hand advertising.

You can see how this could spread to other suppliers and work to your benefit, not only in advertising but in having other places to shoot and you might even get some commercial work as well.

All with permission, of course:
Cool stores, museums, the clients home..

I had my own maternity shoot at a historical bed and breakfast in Detroit. We rented the room and the photog came to us. There were like 5 houses with common rooms in each and we walked around and shot inside them - very cool!

Very good ideas. Thanks so much!

I found a pretty cool indoor garden and a great outdoor wooden area that worked great.

I have yet to find "ugly" here in Maryland. I'm still shooting away outdoors... here's something fairly recent. The green comes from a little bit of brush left on the ground, and some evergreens. The right light, and a little texture in the background with a shallow depth-of-field and all will be well.

maryland_photographer_2.jpg

I take my people to local malls that have nice scenery as well as the local Conservatory. We are lucky here in Cincinnati to have the Krohn Conservatory which is free to everyone.

Most reactions

Back