Uh-oh, I shot a 7dm2 and I really liked it

This will be interesting :popcorn:. I have to say I like the top on better. But when I pixel peep the bottom one seems to have less noise. But thats just my opinion and I have been wrong so many times.
Different lenses, different exposures. So which is which?

Tony Northup and his lady were saying that even that Canon 400 5.6 is sharper with a 1.4TC at 560mm than the tammy @ 560. Another thing to keep in mind...

Jake
Yup they said that online so it must be true right?

This will be interesting :popcorn:. I have to say I like the top on better. But when I pixel peep the bottom one seems to have less noise. But thats just my opinion and I have been wrong so many times.

Tony Northup and his lady were saying that even that Canon 400 5.6 is sharper with a 1.4TC at 560mm than the tammy @ 560. Another thing to keep in mind...

Jake
Yup they said that online so it must be true right?

I didn't add that I think most of their test images are a joke... did I? Oops.

Sh*** weak, haha

Jake

shoot the 7Dm2 on a crummy lighting day that requires higher ISOs and report back.

I liked the top picture a little better as-is.

If you get around to selling your out-of-focus, rough detailed Tammy shoot me an email. I'll take that out of your hands for cheap. :)

Well I thought the top image was Canon due to the noise I was seeing and the bottom was Nikon due to less noise. I have the 7d Mark II and the top looks alot like some of my images concerning noise. But again I am a novice at best so I am just guessing.

Braineack said:
shoot the 7Dm2 on a crummy lighting day that requires higher ISOs and report back.
That was sort of what I was thinking, especially after reading Nasim's first look piece where he mentioned the noise at low ISO values. As far as thoughts...last week Hogan was speculating that the new Sony 24-MP APS-C sensor with the 19 frames per second capability would be the choice for the D400.What s Coming in Sensors byThom Thom Hogan He also said in another article that he expects Nikon to flesh out its lineup by the end of 2015 with the D400.

I dunno...the Nikon 300/2.8 is a high quality lens, and can take a converter (or maybe even the 1.7x for a 510mm equiv) to get a nice 420mm f/4 focal length. I think right now is maybe not quite the right time to make a move, but it depends on how you are about buying then selling off gear. My feeling is that YES, the 7D-II has the great AF system, and the fast firing rate, but honestly, I looked at some evening bird stuff shot by a guy in Southern California, along the beaches...ehhh...low noise, reasonably so, but not much detail. I just have the feeling that the 7D-II is almost exactly what the Nikon D2x was for me: a fantastic body and sub-systems, with an inferior sensor that's going to very soon, be made obsolete by something better from "the other guys".

I think mid- to later 2015 might be a big year for new cameras. Canon has two (three?) new models coming out. Sony has NEW 24 and 36 MP full-frame sensors this spring. I think we're close to a round of new offerings...might not be quite the right time to make a move just now. Or....buy a 7D-II and use it over the summer or for however long.

switching systems seems...well, to be honest, it always seems kinda silly when you are already heavily invested in another. maybe the canon 7DII is actually better than nikons current offerings for what you shoot...Until nikons next round of cameras, then it is probably going to flop back again. you could seesaw back and forth forever between different systems as they try to one-up each other year after year. its a never-ending game of leapfrog. I mean, if you've got money to burn, by all means, go for it. This seems like its going to be a big year for cameras, so you might want to hold off till the fall and see what Nikons answer to the newest canon offerings is going to be.

I don't know what the cost is of renting a camera, but maybe you could rent some different setups for a week or so at a time and see what you like best! :)

Braineack said:
I dunno...the Nikon 300/2.8 is a high quality lens, and can take a converter (or maybe even the 1.7x for a 510mm equiv) to get a nice 420mm f/4 focal length. I think right now is maybe not quite the right time to make a move, but it depends on how you are about buying then selling off gear. My feeling is that YES, the 7D-II has the great AF system, and the fast firing rate, but honestly, I looked at some evening bird stuff shot by a guy in Southern California, along the beaches...ehhh...low noise, reasonably so, but not much detail. I just have the feeling that the 7D-II is almost exactly what the Nikon D2x was for me: a fantastic body and sub-systems, with an inferior sensor that's going to very soon, be made obsolete by something better from "the other guys".

I think mid- to later 2015 might be a big year for new cameras. Canon has two (three?) new models coming out. Sony has NEW 24 and 36 MP full-frame sensors this spring. I think we're close to a round of new offerings...might not be quite the right time to make a move just now. Or....buy a 7D-II and use it over the summer or for however long.
From my comparisons it really wasn't a night and day difference between the D7100. I am keeping the D7100 with the 300 F4 for lower light situations anyways. So I will have 2 great cameras that I can use in a variety of situations. Being a full time birder, newer full frame sensors don't do anything for me. The D800 is an awesome mind blowing camera, If I did more general photography it is an easy 5-10 year camera. I am sticking with the DX format because it makes the most sense for what I shoot. ISO and DR don't do much if focus accuracy isn't there..

switching systems seems...well, to be honest, it always seems kinda silly when you are already heavily invested in another. maybe the canon 7DII is actually better than nikons current offerings for what you shoot...Until nikons next round of cameras, then it is probably going to flop back again. you could seesaw back and forth forever between different systems as they try to one-up each other year after year. its a never-ending game of leapfrog. I mean, if you've got money to burn, by all means, go for it. This seems like its going to be a big year for cameras, so you might want to hold off till the fall and see what Nikons answer to the newest canon offerings is going to be.
I'm not that heavily invested. I really don't see Nikon coming out with a D400, they have given up on a "Pro" DX camera. By keeping both systems I will leave my options open in the future..

I don't know what the cost is of renting a camera, but maybe you could rent some different setups for a week or so at a time and see what you like best! :)
It's not a bad time, but I know a lot of people (I should say they know me) so trying out gear is not a problem for me. I took about 300 shots with the 7DM2 and it was enough to determine how fast and accurate the AF system is...

Well I thought the top image was Canon due to the noise I was seeing and the bottom was Nikon due to less noise. I have the 7d Mark II and the top looks alot like some of my images concerning noise. But again I am a novice at best so I am just guessing.

It was misleading, lol, the top was the D7100 but at ISO 1250, the Canon was at ISO 200. The point was I don't think it will really matter much. The 7D mark II arrives tomorrow and I already have a 400 F5.6 that arrived on Friday. Should be a bit of a learning curve as the AF-On is in a different position and the shutter and front wheel is reversed. Can't wait to get it set up and find some diving Osprey :)

I for one hope this fails miserably, well at least my bank account hopes it fails LOL

But it will just prove my point that you are capable of taking great shots no matter what gear you use. Even really crappy stuff :345:

I for one hope this fails miserably, well at least my bank account hopes it fails LOL

But it will just prove my point that you are capable of taking great shots no matter what gear you use. Even really crappy stuff :345:

I have every confidence that Kris will get stellar shots with whatever camera/lens combo he chooses.

And I, for one, am absolutely thrilled that he decided to ditch that D800! :winksexy:

I am really looking forward to the images you capture from the 7d mark II. I dont expect to see a big difference as I think what ever you shoot with will look amazing. I believe if you get it right in the camera from the get go it does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon. Its what ever feels best in your hand. Ok Nikon fans write how the noise in low light is going to suck in the 7d II versus the Nikon. I swear its really getting old. Any ways I think Coastalconn has such skill at this that he will amaze people with any camera he shoots with and I look forward to his pictures.

And I, for one, am absolutely thrilled that he decided to ditch that D800! :winksexy:

Do we take that to mean that you will be giving the D800 a new home ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back