Uh oh! I tried to clean my 40D sensor and pieces fell out everywhere!

FieldsForests

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I unscrewed the sensor part of the 40D (the front) to clean the sensor, and all of these pieces fell out:

40dh.png

Where do these go? How do I put them back in???

I shouldn't laugh at this...

Ok. That looks like the viewfinder screen to me...

Honestly, you need to bring it somewhere I'm thinking. Or look online for someone else who's had these things apart. I doubt anyone in the beginner's forum will be able to help, but hopefully I'm wrong?

I've been trying to find this online but no luck.

And paying money? No thanks.

I've been trying to find this online but no luck.

And paying money? No thanks.

You messed it up, but don't want to spend money to get it fixed? Hmmm...I didn't realize you have to unscrew the sensor to clean it?

The pieces can slide nicely back inside if you know the correct order.

If I can find out how to slide them back correctly, then there's no point paying.

I was able to thoroughly clean the viewfinder glass by doing this. The mirror, or sensor, cannot be unscrewed.

So it was the viewfinder / focusing screen? If so there shouldn't be little parts, etc.. Unless you took the metal clip that holds it in apart.

Here's a link showing you how to replace the focusing screen on a 40D.

Illustrated: Canon EOS 40D Focusing Screen Replacement

The focusing screen won't affect image quality, so if you were trying to clean up spots (from sensor dust) you probably won't see a difference. (All this assuming it was the focusing screen you took out).

Yes it was the focusing screen, or atleast the top two pieces of plastic.

I took all four screws out and hence the metal clip was taken out.

Yes, but when I look through the viewfinder there were little dirt marks. Sure, it won't affect image quality in the end, but it is still annoying to look at dirt marks when viewing.

Those looks like parts from the viewfinder to me....

edit....oh....so they came from the focusing screen?

Apologies, yes, they came from the focusing screen.

It would all seem easy enough to put back together except for the metal pieces. The first two pieces in the diagram are almost like metal borders.

This has got to be a troll post, nobody is stupid enough to unscrew stuff inside their expensive camera without knowing what it is or even taking notice of how it went together. I mean really, did you just undo screws then tip the camera up and shake it, hoping to figure out later where all the delicate/non-user-serviceable parts go? :meh:

It looks like the entire focusing screen assembly fell out, frames and all.....

This has got to be a troll post, nobody is stupid enough to unscrew stuff inside their expensive camera without knowing what it is or even taking notice of how it went together. I mean really, did you just undo screws then tip the camera up and shake it, hoping to figure out later where all the delicate/non-user-serviceable parts go? :meh:
I don't think you realize the lengths of acting before you think ;)

Uh....not to get too personal, but were there any intoxicating or mood-altering substances consumed within the 15 minutes to 4 hours prior to your beginning this little adventure??? I'm not saying anything, not implying anything, but I see your post was at 1:54 AM,and it's Friday night, well actually the wee hours of Saturday morning here, and well, you know...chit happens sometimes, on Fridays, after work....kind of late in the evening, you know...you get 'a great idea'...then the great idea seems like a very bad idea...stuff like that...

Sorry, I cannot believe that anyone who knows how to use the small screwdrivers is not smart enough to know that he/she is taking on a delicate task that most likely is beyond their skill.

one of the funniest thread titles in a long time... thanks for the laugh.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back