(uh oh its a wedding thread) PESSIMISTS: Do NOT enter! REALISTS: Please come in! OPTIMISTS: I <3 you

You don't feel comfortable charging....but you feel comfortable taking the photos!!??!?!

You don't feel comfortable charging....but you feel comfortable taking the photos!!??!?!
Correct. Is being nice for the sake of being nice such a novel concept?

What is the difference between this and a TFP'S modeling shoot? I'm getting to practice, build my portfolio for the future, and they are getting memoriws! Isn't that a win win?!

I don't charge either .. but don't tell anyone that. :)

What is the difference between this and a TFP'S modeling shoot? I'm getting to practice, build my portfolio for the future, and they are getting memoriws! Isn't that a win win?!

It really depends on how much money/time it will cost you. With the amount of effort/money it will cost you it might not be a clear win for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy it and like your results, it could open up an alternative income source for you in the future. Before agreeing to do it I would make sure that I have all the equipment I need though. And a TTL flash (preferably 2), is the bare minimum imo.

I'm no expert on it since I carry insurance year round but I'm fairly certain that you can be insured for individual events.

I don't charge either .. but don't tell anyone that. :)
Yeah- it's hard to win on here. People who are just starting and charging shouldn't be- people who are doing it for free should be charging! ;-) can I charge them in hugs?

They are taking advantage of you if they wont pay for your expenses and the bare minimum for your time.

We can agree to disagree, because I would never do a wedding for free....but you can if you want.

If I had to bet, I would say this will be your only wedding you shoot for free.

They are taking advantage of you if they wont pay for your expenses and the bare minimum for your time.

We can agree to disagree, because I would never do a wedding for free....but you can if you want.

I never said they didn't offer to pay me. They have. And so what if it's the only one I do for free? Then the next time if I charge at least that price comes with experience! ;-)

Did someone say wedding photography??? :D
Only you as far as I'm aware. ;-) I just said mom in a dress with a camera who happens to stumble upon two people saying "I do"......
I guess I should skip the dress, or I might tripand break my camera. :giggle:

Good luck with the wedding photos, Jazzie. There's a first time for everything.

you would be surprised.
we have done two weddings for free, and one more planned in October of this year.

one for a friend we've known for almost 16 years, who has put us up in his house and fed us whenever we are visiting down there.
one for a friend i went to EMT school with who got me my job.
and the one in October will be for a friend i have known since I was 12.

^ Such good friends would know how much work was involved, and would at least give you $500 for expenses? No?

All my friends would. If I tried to say no, they would hide the money in my camera bag or something.

Good luck with the wedding photos, Jazzie. There's a first time for everything.
Woah there ! Don't wish me luck yet. I haven't committed. First comes the tpf poll, next comes the tarot spread! Then I decide what to say to the bride. ;-)

^ Such good friends would know how much work was involved, and would at least give you $500 for expenses? No?

All my friends would. If I tried to say no, they would hide the money in my camera bag or something.

maybe we just have different concepts of friendship.
why does money have to change hands to prove friendship?

Most reactions

Back