(uh oh its a wedding thread) PESSIMISTS: Do NOT enter! REALISTS: Please come in! OPTIMISTS: I <3 you

^ Such good friends would know how much work was involved, and would at least give you $500 for expenses? No?

All my friends would. If I tried to say no, they would hide the money in my camera bag or something.

maybe we just have different concepts of friendship.
why does money have to change hands to prove friendship?

Um...I didn't say it had to change hands to prove friendship...I am just saying my friends wouldn't let me shoot their wedding for free.

^ Such good friends would know how much work was involved, and would at least give you $500 for expenses? No?

All my friends would. If I tried to say no, they would hide the money in my camera bag or something.

maybe we just have different concepts of friendship.
why does money have to change hands to prove friendship?

Um...I didn't say it had to change hands to prove friendship...I am just saying my friends wouldn't let me shoot their wedding for free.
I wouldn't let them pay me

Good luck with the wedding photos, Jazzie. There's a first time for everything.
Ps- no wedding thread is complete without "Derrel's first wedding shoot" story! ;-)

IMHO, this is a personal decision. You know yourself best. The first time of everything is always exciting and scary.

One picture from my first wedding ever :(

DSCF0658.JPG

Uh trust me, I have played the "hide the money" game...where I have to hide money is their house somewhere...but they always give it back. ha

Why don't you e-mail her a couple of your Leicas Gary? Then the pictures would be perfect! ;)

A wedding is no place for pervy "street photography" by rich old dudes who have an upskirt problem.

1. Jazzie; yes, you need to have a good contract. I think you should ask an attorney to write one up. This might be an unexpected expense for you, but believe me, it will pay for itself many times over in case something goes awry.

2. You do not need to make any reference to money, either in concept or in specifics, but the contract should spell out what is expected of each party, you and the bride. The bride or her designate should be responsible for obtaining the full cooperation of everyone she wants pictures of, among other things.

3. If the bride chooses to pay you, you still do not need to name a specific amount, but whatever she offers, just accept it gracefully.

4. If you do not have a declared business, I believe it will not be necessary to report the income and pay taxes on a one-time receipt. You can call your local state and IRS office for clarification.

5. Ignore the nay-sayers and have fun!

At least so far...everyone says to do it. :1247:

we typically do the formals after the ceremony, but before the reception.
Usually right where the wedding ceremony was done. we set up the camera on a tripod, some lights on stands, and shoot in groups. we decide ahead of time what groups we are going to do and in what order.
full wedding party is almost always first for us.
bride/groom
bride/groom with whoever officiated the ceremony
groom/groomsmen
bride/bridesmaids
bride/parents
bride/groom with flower girl and/or Frodo (ring bearer!)

you get the idea.
depending on how large and diverse the wedding party is, the combinations are endless.

I usually got the parents done first... the rationale here is that they are the hosts of the event and need to get over to the reception. This comes up in the planning phase so that they understand we're doing it in that order to avoid formals holding up the reception when the reception is "immediately following" the ceremony with no break in between.

Once family shots are complete, they can head over to the reception while we shoot the formals involving the wedding party.

Usually right where the wedding ceremony was done. we set up the camera on a tripod, some lights on stands, and shoot in groups. we decide ahead of time what groups we are going to do and in what order.
bride/groom
groom/groomsmen
bride/bridesmaids
bride/parents

you get the idea.
depending on how large and diverse the wedding party is, the combinations are endless.

I usually got the parents done first... the rationale here is that they are the hosts of the event and need to get over to the reception. This comes up in the planning phase so that they understand we're doing it in that order to avoid formals holding up the reception when the reception is "immediately following" the ceremony with no break in between.

Once family shots are complete, they can head over to the reception while we shoot the formals involving the wedding party.

oh, I didnt list the actual order we go in. it varies from wedding to wedding.
except for the full wedding party usually being first for us, the rest is just a general list.

I don't charge either .. but don't tell anyone that. :)

At least so far...everyone says to do it. :1247:
crazy huh?! Must be because I gated out the pessimests. ;-)

bride/groom
groom/groomsmen
bride/bridesmaids
bride/parents

you get the idea.

Good tip! Parents first! Got it.

IMHO, this is a personal decision. You know yourself best. The first time of everything is always exciting and scary.

One picture from my first wedding ever :(

View attachment 96547
You know the bride and groom are meant for each other when they wear the same style shades. :headbang:

Go for it Jazzie!

Yep wedding shoots are difficult and I've turned down a few too. However you are aware of the pitfalls and from your shots I've seen I think you are a very capable photographer and someone who can pull this off.

Most reactions

Back