Uh oh, more Deer...!! This time from Richmond Park.

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was meeting a friend in Richmond this afternoon and so took my camera with me as I knew I'd have an hour or so to spare whilst I was there. I wasn't too hopeful of even going to the park as it kept raining and the sky was pretty dull. Still, I decided that I'd make use of the spare hour I had so I went for a quick drive through the park to see what was about. As soon as I drove in to the park there were deer everywhere, with Stags sitting in the long grass - beautiful, except they were nowhere near the car parks. So I decided to drive right the way round to see what else was about. I spotted one lonely male near the car park at the top of the hill of the park so decided to park there and take my chances. Needless to say he wasn't playing ball at all and walked off as soon as I fired off a couple of frames..

_RP11635_richpark.jpg

D200, 200-400 VR at 400mm (VR on), 1/80 second at f4, ISO200, monopod.

I decided to head down the hill and walk along the bracken in case I'd missed anything when driving by. Low and behold this chap was hidden in there.

_RP11655_richpark.jpg

200-400 at 300mm (VR on), 1/80 second at f4, ISO200, monopod.

The shots were all a bit samey as he just stood and posed in the same position the whole time!

_RP11681_richpark.jpg

200-400 at 250mm (VR on), 1/60 second at f4, ISO200, monopod.

I got a fair few shots of him before he decided he had had enough and walked away. Very different conditions to my recent trip to bushy park (where I had a clear sky and nice sunset) but I quite like the coolness of the light and the damp look to everything from the showers, although I could have done with an umbrella! lol

My favourite shot is this one...

_RP11699_richpark.jpg

200-400 at 400mm (VR on), 1/80 second at f4, ISO200, monopod.

This is full frame, although I did try a slightly tighter crop but it felt too busy where as this somehow gave the deer more room to breath and also gave a greater sense of the enviroment he was in.

Given this was a quick pop to the park just on the off chance I'm pleased to have come away with something worth keeping especially as I was there for such a short time and there is such a huge area for the deer to cover!

Nice Captures, I wonder if it would add to the photo buy using maybe a warming filter?

I much agree with you liking the last one best - in other words: I do too! :D

Even though I must say that the look stag 1 gives you in the first photo (or is it always the same?) and the way you composed that photo is very good, too.

The colours here really show that the day was dull ... I might have tweaked the colour temps just a tad, though... but that is up to each and everyone what they want to show and like best.

I think we should plan a TPF meetup at Richmond park!

Love the last one as well

BTW your link to your website doesn't work unless you copy and paste it

ClarkKent said:
Nice Captures, I wonder if it would add to the photo buy using maybe a warming filter?
I don't really like adding warmth to photos that wasn't there, unless the scene is really really flat and lifeless or a landscape shot that just needs that little boost to what was already there. The shots above are an accurate portrayal of the damp overcast day (read as, a typical british day lol) so adding in warmth would IMO take that away and make it look like the sun was out, which it wasn't.

Its all very personal of course as has been said.

A meet up in the park could be an idea! Although it can be hard enough getting near the deer on your own sometimes so an army of people might make it near impossible lol.

Alos, link is now fixed, thanks for pointing that out :)

good pics! very natural and I like the "cold' touch to it. I know it is very hard to capture deers because they can hear your shutter easily. You did a great job!

great shots sp! i'm fascinated with all these deer... :thumbup:

I've done a warmed up version for comparison. I do quite like it actually, although its not as the scene presented itself at the time but it I'll admit its nice (I also removed some of teh branch behind the antler).

_RP11699_2.jpg

I do like the edit.

As for the meetup we could all meetup and then all go off in different directions and then meetup in a pub and compare shots over a pint or two

Yes, this was just the soft amount of warming I was thinking of ... no more. It still looks like an overcast day, not as if you had taken the pic in sunny weather when there was none.
Good job in that bit of fern, too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back