Uk Gov Wants to legalize Photo Theft !

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by JamesMason, Oct 30, 2009.

1. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool. Socialized photography. We're headed in the same direction, friend.

3. Shutter_to_think

Shutter_to_think TPF Noob!

James, your avatar gives me epilepsy. _

4. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd sign that if I were a British citizen. Even if I wasn't in Britain.

It's incredibly stupid.

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yay, propaganda.

Where can I see the actual letter of the law instead of the one-sided, narrow-minded, sensationalized hysteria presented on the petition website?

EDIT: OK, I found something reasonable:

British Journal of Photography - Government unveils plans to reshape UK's copyright law

What's wrong with that? Customers have rights, too. It's because of you wedding photographers that abuse your overly-broad copyrights to create absurd limitations that the government feels it needs to define specific rights for customers.

This is already defined in law: it's called "fair use". The difference is that it's only a defense, not a right, meaning that people are only permitted to use it as a arguable defense a copyright infringement lawsuit in which they are the defendant.

In theory, this is great. But in practice, copyright infringement lawsuits are a mafia-esque bullying tactic against any middle-class citizen: only the wealthy can afford to defend themselves. What is that societal system where a small number of high class citizens are the only ones that can afford to have rights? Oh, yeah, "communism".

Making fair use a right instead of a defense further democratizes copyright.

Besides, who are you going to impress by suing John Doe for downloading a watermarked, low-resolution photo from your website and showing it to Jane Doe on a Facebook page? There's no money to be made here, there's nothing to be concerned about (and if you are displaying full-resolution, uncompressed, unwatermarked photos on your website ... well, you have bigger problems)

OK, that's pretty vague. I can only infer (and hope) that this means something to effect of limiting the ability for someone to file a copyright infringement lawsuit at the drop of a hat.

Sounds good to me. The general public knows what is and isn't permitted under this, frankly, quite reasonable adjustment and logical to copyright law. The rightsholders are made to understand that they are not almighty deities able to summon the power of copyright at will to ruin someone's life for sharing a picture with a friend.

Great! This democratizes things even more. This is similar to how "compulsory licensing" works for music in some countries. If you publish a song, you have the right to collect a statutorily-determined sum of money from anyone who creates a copy, but you do not have the right to deny anyone from making a copy.

/ 1:00 am rant out

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  6. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These things are really -- should be -- up to the photographer.

The customer giving the digital images to relatives can mean lack of sales for the photographer. And that's only one reason.

7. Mbnmac

Mbnmac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to ask though, a photographer is paid to take pictures of an event, he is paid for his services on an agreed contract, the bride and groom have great photos of their day - they have relatives in far parts of the world (as I do, so this is speaking from personal experience and my wedding) why should they not be allowed to share their photos with family?

And lack of sales? please, who the hell buys photos of SOMEONE ELSES wedding? unless they want a really nice framed print, which they'd have to go to the photographer for anyway.

I'm just saying that this is a pretty weak point to make.

8. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Intresting responses. I will admit my title is a little OTT. The problem is if you give them an inch they take a mile. Plus alot of photographers make a large portion of profit through Selling prints.

9. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mbnmac -- the bride and groom should have checked the contract and the terms on which the photographer runs. If they disagree, there are plenty of other photogs out there.