UK Police Threaten Teenage Photojournalist

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Goontz, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I looked only briefly, so sorry if this has already been posted. It seems that UK police are still generally unclear on photographer's rights, and still haven't caught on to the fact that assaulting photographers isn't the best idea.

Photographer's Blog: The Romford Incident Jules Mattsson

Register: Romford coppers try to stopper young snapper ? The Register

Independent: Officers claim they don't need law to stop photographer taking pictures - Crime, UK - The Independent

British Journal of Photgraphy: Young photojournalist detained for army cadet pics - British Journal of Photography

2. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    People so often make problems of photography. As an photographer you have the duty to use photo's in a sensible way. Not posting false comments under peoples pictures and such. But these days people are overly suspicious of camera's and the use of the photo's. Even when your not taking their picture they start yelling that they don't want to be photographed and such.

I really feel for this guy and I hope he gets his apologies from these officers!

3. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have heard that it is completely illegal to take pictures of the police. However the police have no problem with 2 million video cameras on the people.

4. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the police make us think its illegal hoping it will deter people enough. But in front of a court, they don't stand a chance. Read the independent article and see for yourself.

But as an photographer you can avoid a lot of problems by making sensible selections in your pictures. I only put pictures forward from which I know that parents/grandparents/children/friends/or whoever will call for a copy of the photo, because they like them so much!

5. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That BBC article is from January 2009 and there is a new verdict by the court just this month about a similar incident.

I think this kind of incident will always keep popping up. The police is just not that happy with anyone taking there picture. I think they have their reasons but its also a culture thing. If all police officers start yelling at photographers, then the junior officers will likely copy their behaviour.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What you heard is not correct.

It is not illegal to take pictures of policeman, here in the US.

8. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know I was talking about the UK referencing the OP. However it won't be long.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is not illegal in the UK either. The terrorism laws are so nicely written that scraping ice off your windscreen for your drive to work in the morning could be considered an act of terrorism.

The problem is that police keep prosecuting people for it, and the courts keep ruling in favour of the people. Just because the police say something doesn't make it illegal, even if they interpret the law in a way that they think makes it illegal. The metropolitan police are the only ones who seem to be getting this horridly wrong. You won't find anyone outside of London getting any trouble for the same stupid reasons.

10. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Luckily not all police officers are bad.

A few years ago I visited a Scottish festival in Holland. There two officers were monitoring the event. One of the stand holders managed to convince the officers to wear kilts. And they let everyone take pictures of themselves. It looked really cool. Must have the pictures somewhere hidden on a CD in a box on the attic... (wait I don't have an attic!)

11. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's fine you may be correct. But then the BBC is reporting is grossly inaccurate in this case. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read in the papers.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The danger comes in reading only the one paper. News is written by people with agendas and sometimes with a little money changing hands under the table.

The BBC's interpretation of the law may very well differ from the courts. Heck for the most part one courts interpretation differs from another's. This is one of the fundamental problems in the way many of our stupid laws are written. With many shades of grey. :(