UK Police Threaten Teenage Photojournalist

what about taking pictures of tunnels and bridges in nyc, they have signs that strictly forbid it, they even had something on the news about a person taking pictures in the subway in philly, when i see alot of cool photos from down there.

heres an old article i found

Photographers Becoming Security Concerns : NPR

and heres some photos i took

i have taken pictures on delaware ave several times, even parked my car on the sidewalk and never been harassed yet.

DSC_0250.jpg

I looked only briefly, so sorry if this has already been posted. It seems that UK police are still generally unclear on photographer's rights, and still haven't caught on to the fact that assaulting photographers isn't the best idea.

Photographer's Blog: The Romford Incident Jules Mattsson

Register: Romford coppers try to stopper young snapper ? The Register

Independent: Officers claim they don't need law to stop photographer taking pictures - Crime, UK - The Independent

British Journal of Photgraphy: Young photojournalist detained for army cadet pics - British Journal of Photography

Man that makes me proud to be an American even more... It is getting pretty sad when you have to be afraid of what your taking pictures of to make sure the cops don't harass you for taking pictures... What is the world coming to...

But for the most part (in my humble experience) cops are more likely to cooperate with us photographers than the military folks are...

I'm sure this comes from your personal experience but I have myself found the opposite. I have been chased by cops many times (even hit by them) while wearing press credentials but never have had a problem with the military.

I have also had problems with demonstrators when I first started shooting and had no credentials as some tend to think you are shooting for the police. Which, of course is common practice.

I quickly learned 2 tricks: switching exposed film for a new roll when unloading the camera (can't do that with digital), then I started making my own credentials. I also learned to wear a helmet in some of those situations :lol:

Most reactions

Back