Ultra 2 or Lexar 80x?

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To go with the D200 I am picking up next week I need to get a 2gig CF card also.

I was wondering what would be the prefered choice between the Sandisk Ultra 2 and the Lexar 80x. I know the Lexar is faster in theory (80x vs 66x of Sandisk) but in real world what are peoples experiences? I have also heard comments about Lexar failing but not actually read any real reports of this.

The D200 brochure mentions the Sandisk cards as the benchmark for the camera, I'm wondernig if this means the Ultra will perform better than the Lexar.

On the Rob G CF database it shows the Ultra writes faster in the D70 and the Lexar writes faster in the D2x which doesn't help unless anyone here knows if the D200 writes info the same way as either the D2x/D70?

Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Any advice appreciated :)

Silverpenguin said:
Just to update, I went for an extreme 3 in the end :)
Good call, that's the fastest card on the market. I own 2 :mrgreen:
But, I just finished reading an article that shed a little light on things. Currently, there isn't a camera on the market that can write to the card at that speed. The X3 will write @ 20mb/sec. The average dslr can only transfer data to the card at about 6-8mb/sec :er: Some a little faster, others a little slower. But...on the bright side, I have never had to wait for my camera to finish writing :thumbup:

woodsac said:
Good call, that's the fastest card on the market. I own 2 :mrgreen:
But, I just finished reading an article that shed a little light on things. Currently, there isn't a camera on the market that can write to the card at that speed. The X3 will write @ 20mb/sec. The average dslr can only transfer data to the card at about 6-8mb/sec :er: Some a little faster, others a little slower. But...on the bright side, I have never had to wait for my camera to finish writing :thumbup:
Nice to know :thumbup:

The RG compact flash database it says the D2x writes to the Extreme 3 at about 9mb sec if I remember rightly so I'm hoping the D200 will be somewhere near there! I have also ordered the Sandisk Imagemate CF reader for transfers to the pc as apparently that makes full use of the cards speed, a bargain at £10 from amazon :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back