Ultrafine Xtreme Film

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by OldManJim, May 25, 2017.

1. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anybody used this film out of California? I just bought a sample pack of 6 rolls (3 100 speed, 3 400 speed) to try.

They claim very fine grain. The interesting part is that the price (with shipping) works out to about $4.25/roll - which is a lot cheaper than anything else I found. Expiration date is 2021, so it should be fairly fresh.

I'll post some images once I shoot it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Never heard of it. Is it re-packaged Kodak or Fuji film?

3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  4. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't know who makes it. From their website: Ultrafine Xtreme Black & White Film - Traditional Black-and-White Films. "Photo Warehouse presents the ultimate B & W Film experience, as we continue to bring you new and exciting products in the traditional photo world. A superior fine grain film with wide latitude and extreme quality. For high quality black and white photography, Ultrafine Xtreme 100 is unparalleled. Sporting a very fine grain, with outstanding detail, and acute sharpness, allowing completely satisfactory Xtreme enlargements, and still retaining a plethora of refined detail. With a standard rating of ISO 100/21, Xtreme 100 has become a true favorite, and compares very favorably alongside other medium speed films. With tremendous exposure latitude beyond its ISO 100 range, Xtreme 100 is appropriate for most photographic subjects, under a variety of lighting conditions. Xtreme 400 is a high speed, medium contrast film allowing for exceptional utilization in action and sports photography and also an outstanding selection for general purpose photography. With a standard rating of ISO 400, it provides negatives exhibiting incredible sharpness and yet retains a fine grain under a myriad of lighting conditions. Xtreme 400 was designed to react vigorously to push processing and film speeds up to EI 1600/33 are easily achievable with X-tol type developers, maintaining nice shadow detail and perfectly scaled mid-tones, while still maintaining grain structure."

I have seen claims that it is NOT repackaged EFKE or Foma film, but don't know anything beyond that.

5. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Im interested in seeing your results. I looked through the Flickr page and it seems nice.

6. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of the rolls I have processed for my customers here at the lab I work at..........not impressed. It's one of those "OK" films. Very similar to Kentmere. But the price is right.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I received the shipment today...pretty fast, 2 days from CA. I'll be shooting and processing some of it this coming week (I hope).

• Like Like x 2
  8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Doesn't Freestyle carry that? Seems like it's 'student' film... intended to be budget friendly basic film to learn/practice with. Not that you can't get some good pictures with that, I've never tried it.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Acufine (chemistry) or Arista ('student' film/chemistry)... I have heard of 'Ultrafine Online'... just can't remember what/where.

edit - Shows up as Photo Warehouse's 'house' film, not sure what that means. Their own Ultrafine site does have class supply lists so I suppose I have seen it as 'student' quality film and chemistry. If it's a sample pack, might as well try it. I've tried expired or experimental films, just use them for that, to experiment (play around with a camera, etc.), not for when it's something important or that I wouldn't be easily able to reshoot. Have fun trying it out!

9. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Despite the crappy weather, I got out and shot some Ultrafine Xtreme 400 today and processed it. I used Sprint (1:9) at 21C for 8 min 50 sec.

Attached is a portion of a shot that shows the film performance: Ultrafine002b.jpg Despite the dusty neg, you can see the grain. Still for cheap film, I don't think it did too bad. I posted a few more images in the Gallery for those who want to look.