Umbrella and stand came in the mail. First shot with it.

From snapshot to pro shot :thumbup:, lighting makes the difference. Like inTempus said, a game changer.

Holy Matt Damon look alike batman.

Haha all kidding aside, nice work with the new gear. Proof that it doesn't have to be super expensive to work

I agree that this is a big step forward. Has anyone ever told your friend he looks a little like Matt Damon?

Can I be contrary voice and say that something is amiss with the lighting? imo the facial tones lack enough contrast to give the face volume. Has the mid-tone contrast been reduced? Take a look again at the left shot and notice how it has a greater illusion of volume? It pops a little more. Yes it is over exposed, but I would have used the sunlight as your primary source and then the off camera flash to gently fill the shadowed side.

Also... how can both pics be the same exposure? You are adding more light with the flash.

It's a mixture of difused sun and softened flash. Looking at it on my monitor, I probably could have pumped up the flash a bit more. 1/4 power looked too blown out on my little LCD, so I moved the flash down to 1/8 power. The higher flash power would have given a bit more definition in the shadows, but it was designed to be soft, even light (something that's supposed to be really hard to get in direct sunlight).

LOL@ Matt Damon! It wouldn't be the first time he's gotten that. Maybe he should sign up to be a stunt double!

Most reactions

Back