Umbrella Size

johnbergsing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbergsingphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! Brand new here. I have a question regarding umbrella size.

I am wondering what the pros and cons are of using larger umbrellas (60") over smaller umbrellas (32")?

Thanks in advance!

Of course the larger the umbrella, the larger the area you are lighting, but I would say it mostly depends on what your light source is.

If you are using battery powered flashes, the smaller umbrellas will give you stronger more usable light, but a smaller area is lit. I don't go above 45" for myself but that is mostly becuase when shooting indoors they are not too intrusive, easier to work with and light smaller areas, which is what I want.

If you are using 110 (or 220 if in Europe), the strobes are generally a lot more powerful and you can get away with a larger umbrellas, but even then, do you notice that even with the high end strobes, companies are including only smaller umbrellas with their kits? I'm talking 32-45 inches maximum.

In the end, it depends on your needs and desires. If you use a little common sense, the above becomes quite clear as to what is the right choice for you.

Of course the larger the umbrella, the larger the area you are lighting, but I would say it mostly depends on what your light source is.

If you are using battery powered flashes, the smaller umbrellas will give you stronger more usable light, but a smaller area is lit. I don't go above 45" for myself but that is mostly becuase when shooting indoors they are not too intrusive, easier to work with and light smaller areas, which is what I want.

If you are using 110 (or 220 if in Europe), the strobes are generally a lot more powerful and you can get away with a larger umbrellas, but even then, do you notice that even with the high end strobes, companies are including only smaller umbrellas with their kits? I'm talking 32-45 inches maximum.

In the end, it depends on your needs and desires. If you use a little common sense, the above becomes quite clear as to what is the right choice for you.
Thanks, and good point. So let me ask you this: For general portrait work, including multiple subjects, and using a B800, would you choose a 48" or 60" shoot thru?

Last edited:
You should have a range of sizes. One size does not fit all. Multiple subects require larger umbrellas or multiple umbrellas.

Most reactions

Back