Umbrella & Soft Box Lights

fayth_4_life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography equipment, though I've been photographing for years and worked in a studio, though the equipment was provided and set up already. I do photography now mostly as a hobby and for family and friends, but I have purchased some backgrounds and would like to purchase lighting, but I'm not sure what would be best. I have looked at some continuous lighting, and was wondering which would be better umbrella or softbox lighting? Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated.

I think it depends on your personal style and what effect you are trying to achieve. A good place to start might be http://strobist.blogspot.com/ I have recently started reading some of the lessons here and I think it is a great resource.

Welcome to the forum.

The main difference between softboxes and umbrellas is control and light spillage. An umbrella will pretty much put light all over the place, while a softbox constrains it to the direction in which it's pointed. Umbrellas are much cheaper and easier to set up and store.

Many photographers shoot with umbrellas, softboxes or both. I have heard some say that they don't like umbrellas and won't use them...I've never heard that about softboxes.

HERE is a great site that allows you to choose from many different light modifiers and compare two, side by side.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated, I will check out the links you all posted and hope it helps.

My advice would be to look at strobes rather than continuous lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back