Umbrella vs. Softbox for an SB-600

portability - Umbrellas go up quick and easy (and cheap to replace if you get a tear).

If you have the money, you can always go for a lastolite ezybox :)

Or I've heard alot of good things about these:
Cheetah QBox 16

Hope this helps

This link is very helpful in one of my questions. One of the pictures shows a back view of the fash mounted in the box. Will light not escape through that?

Qbox165.jpg

I think I have decided on a softbox. Is there a certain size that would pair well with an SB-600?

forgive my ignorance and interjection into this thread to ask a question, but whats the advantages of using a softbox vs say a diffuser that fits over the flash head itself? Controlling light spill?

Like this

11l9e4hTfsL._SL160_SL90_.jpg

What you linked diffuses while softboxes soften light.

forgive my ignorance and interjection into this thread to ask a question, but whats the advantages of using a softbox vs say a diffuser that fits over the flash head itself? Controlling light spill?

Like this

11l9e4hTfsL._SL160_SL90_.jpg
A softbox makes the light source appear much larger than it really is. The larger the light source the softer the light and the shadows it casts.

A slip on diffuser doesn't make the light appear any larger, it just scatters it around, so less of the light actually goes to the subject.

Get the book Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting. By Fil Hunter.

KmH, what do you think about post #17?

Not enough light will escape to matter.

You could always cut a rectangular hole in a piece of aluminum foil to put over the speedlight head and reflect any spill back into the softbox.

After much thought, I may be leaning toward an umbrella. It's more cost efficient and I feel like I am really having to rig a softbox to work with a speedlight. I hate having to rig stuff up. Maybe a simple umbrella would allow me to get me feet wet in the strobist area.

what simple umbrella did you choose? because I'm looking to do the same thing you are

and if you only wanted ONE flash for now, is there a big difference between 43 vs 32 inches?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back