Umbrella vs. Softbox for an SB-600

Westcott's stuff is higher quality, but more expensive.

The Impact gear will work fine for many years if not abused.

No, there is not a big difference between 43" and a 32" umbrellas. You need several sizes: 32", 45", 60". It's the same for softboxes.

The smaller sizes are for head shots, or head and shoulder shots. The middle sizes are for 3/4 shots, or a 2 person head shot and the big ones are for full body shots.

Not yet mentioned is that you also need sand bags or some other type of weights to keep the light stands from falling over.

Since light stands have 3 legs, you want one leg in line with and on the same side of the stand as the umbrella for stability.

I use a little bit of both but I think the softbox has more control of your light and less blead.

I use a lightdome 22 inch which lights up to a small group(3 to 5) depending on how your subjects are staggerred. Pretty easy to setup and folds (as you can tell by the wrinkles :D):

4684182256_f86a3f5456.jpg

If I want a bigger light source I just stick the flash or lightstick behind my lastolite trip grip diffuser. I purchased the one with -2 stops(white) and I can position it any way I want. It also folds down to a tiny little circle size of a plate. I used to have umbrella's but windy days it becomes difficult. The tri grip's dual purpose also comes handy during harsh lighting to cover your subjects if they are underneath the harsh sun. Hope this helps..or confuses you with more choices :mrgreen:

4684182296_6da60d2867.jpg

Most reactions

Back