Umbrellas: how do they work?

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a FB message from a woman I know very distantly saying she bought some strobes and doesn't know how to set them up or which way to face the umbrellas since she's seen them used two different ways.

And she has an event coming up that she was hired to photograph using the strobes.

169356_340.jpg

Well the rain lands on the umbrella instead of on you, since the umbrella is between you and the sky.

Then the sloping curved surface guides the water outwards, away from you, and finally drops it on the ground out away from where you are.

Well the rain lands on the umbrella instead of on you, since the umbrella is between you and the sky.

Then the sloping curved surface guides the water outwards, away from you, and finally drops it on the ground out away from where you are.

But, like, do you hold the handle and let the water roll off the top, or do you turn it over so the umbrella catches the rain?

They can, and are, used both ways.

To get the softest light and the most diffuse shadow edges you want the umbrella as close to the subject as possible by shooting light through the umbrella.
However, a significant amount of light is going to be scattered around.
Softboxes offer better control of scattered light, but there are makeshift solutions for making an umbrellas more like a softbox.
By necessity, having the light reflect off the inside of the umbrella, the umbrella has to be further from the subject.
Being further from the subject, scattered light is less controlled.

Lighting and Hardware

Last edited:
How to set them up depends on the type of umbrella. Some are designed to 'shoot through', while others are designed to reflect light.

See, you're supposed to put the strobe aiming away from the umbrella. The umbrella is just there to keep rain off of the strobe and the reflective surface shields people from the heat generated by them.

As many times as I've been pointed to this site, and read it, I should at least have a basic lighting kit. Alas and woe is me! I just never got a round tuit.

Strobist: Lighting 101

I think you're missing the point... He's flabbergasted at her taking on an event and not knowing how to use an umbrella...

For her sake, tell her it works best if you use a reflective umbrella as a shoot through and put the subject behind you for a soft light. With the umbrella up high aimed down at a 95 degree angle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm still glad you posted that. Gave me info I hadn't thought about.

Hey, I'm still glad you posted that. Gave me info I hadn't thought about.
It's a great, informative lighting site! Don't forget to click the Next link under each article on each page or you'll miss a lot. The site design isn't the best I've ever seen, but the info is first-rate!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back