Umbrellas

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys so I have about 85 dollars from Christmas and I wanted to get an umbrella to use with my SB600. I was wondering what you guys thought of This one? If not can you please recommend one or what I should be looking for. This whole flash/light thing is new to me. Thanks!
TJ

Just wondering but what is the use for the black part of the umbrella? lol it's like a whole new world learning from the beginning. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on strobist now. :D

Just wondering but what is the use for the black part of the umbrella? lol it's like a whole new world learning from the beginning. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on strobist now. :D
You leave the black part on when you want to reflect the flash off the inside of the umbrella, onto your subject.

You take the black part off when you want to shoot through the umbrella.

When you use it as a shoot through, you can place it much closer to your subject.

That not only makes the light appear larger, the light doesn' have as far to go. (Inverse Square Law)

You leave the black part on when you want to reflect the flash off the inside of the umbrella, onto your subject.

When you use it as a shoot through, you can place it much closer to your subject. __________________

AND, when you want somewhat subtractive/directional lighting, you remove part of the black reflector, leaving ONLY what you need to light

60'' is a big umbrella. Unless you're doing group shots or lighting something larger you would be fine. I have a 45 and a 60. I rarely use the 60. It's huge lol. The black cover serves as a reflective umbrella. When you take it off it makes a shoot thru. Both having it's advantages.

You should definitely, without a doubt, get the Strobist DVD and go through Dave's blog if you're new to lighting.

Strobist DVD and Zack Arias' One Light Workshop DVD are must have training tools to get you going.

Last edited:

When you use it as a shoot through, you can place it much closer to your subject.

That not only makes the light appear larger, the light doesn' have as far to go. (Inverse Square Law)

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

When you use it as a shoot through, you can place it much closer to your subject. __________________

AND, when you want somewhat subtractive/directional lighting, you remove part of the black reflector, leaving ONLY what you need to light

Cool Thanks!

60'' is a big umbrella. Unless you're doing group shots or lighting something larger you would be fine. I have a 45 and a 60. I rarely use the 60. It's huge lol. The black cover serves as a reflective umbrella. When you take it off it makes a shoot thru. Both having it's advantages.

You should definitely, without a doubt, get the Strobist DVD and go through Dave's blog if you're new to lighting.

Strobist DVD and Zack Arias' One Light Workshop DVD are must have training tools to get you going.

I've been reading and everyone says the bigger the better. The larger the umbrella the more natural and softer the light will be. Is this true?
TJ

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Cool Thanks!

I've been reading and everyone says the bigger the better. The larger the umbrella the more natural and softer the light will be. Is this true?
TJ

Yes that's true but the difference between a 45 and a 60 is more noticeable when it comes to the spreading of light, not the actual softness. Of course it will be softer, but you can barely tell. So it all comes down to nitpicking, and seeing what works with you. If you can haul around a 60'' umbrella, you're good to go. Better pack some sandbags lol

With an SB-600, I couldn't imagine you needing more than a 45" umbrella.

Umbrellas make off camera lighting "nice" and "safe", if that's what you're after..... and usually the first piece in your kit. I have two. :lol:

Alright so i guess i'll go with the same umbrella just the 45" version instead. Sounds good right? Thanks!
TJ

Alright so i guess i'll go with the same umbrella just the 45" version instead. Sounds good right? Thanks!
TJ

What kind of photography are you into?

I like to shoot action stuff but i want to get into portraits and things like that. I was thinking an umbrella would be a good start then a little later a vivitar 285 and more umbrellas and all that good stuff. I'm not too sure where to start though lol. Thanks everyone.
TJ

This whole flash/light thing is new to me.
For your viewing pleasure......

[video=youtube;lKAD7leNOVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAD7leNOVY&feature=related"]Strobist Preliminaries[/video]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back