Unboring HDR :(

The Phototron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1344813328_2cd8e91f9c.jpg

My humour is not working so well. :\

I love it, it looks almost like a painting. The only thing I'm not so keen about is the glowing around the buildings.

Nice. What version of Photomatix are you using?

Nice. What version of Photomatix are you using?
I haven't obtain Photomatix, yet. So I'm using CS3's hdr function.

But I will get it eventually, for now I'll just try to master hdr with the camera.

What I did in photoshop:

Increased saturation for yellow.
Duplicate layer, set to overlay, apply high pass filter at 65 radius. [This is what makes the cartoony effect, together with the Local Adaption settings]

I would have bet that this glow came from the High Pass filter. When you use such a filter I think that the best is to create a Mask to avoid such a glow, and you will notice that the result is way better :)
Other than that, the picture is neat and has a lot of potential with a good framing.

in my opinion,

It's a harsh image, oversharpened and i'm not diggin' the glow in the dark buildings. The lamp post is the first things my eyes went to because it's the brightest part of the frame, and I doubt it's the focal point.

Technically the major problem is the sky: the blown out section behind the light as well as the halos around the buildings. Compositionally the path leads out of the photo toward the blown out sky, which I am sure was not your intention. The bridge? cuts the buildings in half which also does not work from a composition point of view. The garbage can and the tree on the right do not contribute to the composition either and could be cloned out.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back