Undecided with Lens...need a little help here!!!

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by ritapinho7, Jun 16, 2017.

1. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon 100mm 2.8 macro non-L works great for portraits (but the 135mm f/2 is better)
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ritapinho7

ritapinho7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for all the replies

i ended up choosing the 85mm 1.8. seeing all the reviews, and budjet friendly, that was my final decision...i makes me a little confusion, having to pull my self backwords to have the close up i wanted but i guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Sounds like a good choice. The 85 f1.8 is a good all around prime lens. I think you will find that once you get used to the working distance you will wonder why you felt you needed to be so close.

4. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If I were going to use a prime as a portrait lens on an APS-C body, I'd probably go with the 85mm f/1.8. I have the 135mm f/2 (a fantastic lens) but I think that might be a big long if used indoors when using an APS-C camera.

I tend to mostly use my 70-200mm f/2.8 for portraits most of the time (love that lens) but the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS isn't cheap.

There are a number of photographers who use the 100mm macro lenses... particularly for beauty photography. In addition to being good focal length, it also allows the photographer to get close detail face shots of makeup treatment.

5. Ssayeed Bin Mohiuddin

Ssayeed Bin Mohiuddin TPF Noob!

85mm prime can be a better option! If you can effort,70-200(2.8) IS ii is best for portraits! 70-200 (2.8) Non IS is a good lens!
    But I used both of the lenses,I found that 85mm prime will give you the same feel as 70-200 Non IS!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app