Under-saturated for a harsh feel?

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
It was overcast when I shot this, so the image wasn't really contrasty to begin with. But I desaturated it just a little, looking for a more stark/harsh feel to it. Does it work? Or does it just look muddy?

Robert
www.teamwetdog.com

jesus-w.jpg

Well to start with contrast and saturation are different things.

I think if you are gonig to desaturate to make it stark/harsh then you need to raise the highlights slightly and increase the contrast. Maybe desaturate a bit more.

i'd agree, tad bump in contrast on the guy and you've got it. I love this image, great use of negative space and it's quite intriquing. terrific exposure too :thumbsup:

I'd try to bring out the shadow values up a bit, to have more detail in them.

Might be hard if this is shot in digital.

Good luck

Doc

Great capture! The shot could use a touch of contrast. Maybe a slight S curve in Pshop. Desaturation is tough. I would try one with the colours well separated. The red in the sign and the yellow in the building could add a cool effect.

I'd try to bring out the shadow values up a bit, to have more detail in them.

Might be hard if this is shot in digital.

problem with digitals is burning highlights, but there is usually enough detail in the shadows to lighten them.

however my oppinion is that you should darken the picture altogether..and that is because of the sky. it's...well, weird. :D

anyways, great shot man!

Fantastic shot! I would, as suggested earlier, bump the contrast up just a tad, then I'd add a little bit of a reddish/orange coloring to it. But tha'ts just me. =)

another vote for contrast

ahhhhhh, the suntrust bank building fits in well eh? :)

for me, i'd bump saturation and go b&w.

I'd go B&W also, I would also be interested in seeing it in sepia. Nice job on the composition. Good photo

I love this shot. Black and White would be interesting, but I also like the color of the sky so I'm torn. Maybe you could try some painting with light?

I'm a HUGE fan of partial desaturation! I think it definatly helps for the 'stark' feel, but also agree with bumping the contrast.

well... for me contrast is ok, but I don't like the composition. ok - I do love the diagonal composition but there's too much sky for me... I'd crop it just above the poster.

Most reactions

Back