Under the California Sun

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by photomaniac, Feb 14, 2006.

1. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

I need comments, critics, anything to improve my photos. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a couple of quick ones: As a pose, I usually like to see people looking into the image, not out of frame. And I think the people need some more exposure. It's tough when they are backlit, so here a reflector or some fill flash would have helped. People don't often think of using a flash outdoors in the day (and I hate on-camera flash as a main light), but a little fill flash goes a long way towards evening out exposures like this. The composition is pretty goog, even though the horizon is right in the middle (and a little tilted). The location of the lighthouse and people help counteract that.

3. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Take my word, I make the same mistake ALL the time, but you could have really used a silver reflector or some flash on this one. Beautiful location though and I think you are on the right track here.

4. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

Thanks for the feedback! That's my problem: I have a pretty small camera, not enough power the flash, even in the dark. Small optic zoom, without image stabilizer. It's a Digimax, so you can imagine it has just a few features.
    That's why I asked on another thread about a Nikon or a Canon, because I really want an upgrade. And these 2 are the brands I want to buy from. I mean, only one of these two, of course. :mrgreen:

I will try the flash on backlit, I didn't try it before. But on this one, I liked the light and the colors, that's why I kept it.

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't worry too much about the camera. A new one would probably open up possibilities, but you can still learn with the one you have. All of the things I would do differently here wouldn't need a new camera. You may still want a new one, but I don't think you need one.

6. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

OK, Markc. Should I consider the warning under your signature?! :confused: :mrgreen:

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a nice composition with the people & the lighthouse...but yes, it needs fill light on the people. You may be able to bring up the shadows with photoshop (or other).

The horizon really bothers me, tilted horizons always bother me. (it's not just this image :) ) You could rotate and re-crop this one...but always keep that in mind when shooting, especially with a water line on the horizon.

8. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

Thanks for the opinions. You know, I was thrilled by the light itself and I just wasn't paying attention to the horizon line...

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Absolutely! ;)

Do you mind if I post an edit to show you what a fill flash could look like here?

10. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

Please! I just wana learn as much as possible.

And thanks. Again.

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exposure is tricky. Here's what it would look like if you had exposed for the people.

[​IMG]

Here, I lightened the background a little, and then just the people a fair amount. This is similar to what compensating for a bright backround by increasing exposure and also using a fill flash can do. I also straightened the horizon and cropped a touch.

[​IMG]

12. photomaniac

photomaniac TPF Noob!

I saw some of your pictures. Yes, pictures they are. Especially the little wedding angels.