Underexposed or Just right? :| Pls advice.

Hows the exposure?

• Overexposed, it's not right.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I think the exposure is OK

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Oh, it's underexposed, dark!

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rangerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
4794816211_2e029ea709_b.jpg
As per title: Just to get feedbacks. :hug:: Pls use the polls at the top of the thread.

Thanks...pls update the polls too ya.
In flickr it looks underexposed. Here it's better, I mean on my screen it is still OK.:hug::
So I think it's not a screen calibration issue anymore.

it looks a tad underexposed. i was hesitant at first to say that because i was using a monitor that is somewhat dark, but i saw it on my laptop screen, which is rather bright, and it still looked underexposed.

It seems like the land part is a bit underexposed due to the brightness of the sky on the right, which is what you would normally get. As I tend to like pics a tad darker (to me colours seem to show better when just a little darker), I don't mind the underexposure too much. Though if this were mine, I'd throw a well-feathered lasso around the land and see what auto contrast would bring - or adjust it manually, depends...

On my husband's laptop screen it'd surely look waaay too dark at the bottom, his screen is MUCH darker than the one of my desktop!

Work on those dust spots!

No need to bring human judgement into this, just check your histogram.... which says slightly underexposed.

I think Graduated ND Filter would do the trick on this picture. Keeping the sky a little darker while leaving the landscape bright

Last edited:
Here's your histogram from the original...
1-6.jpg

You can clearly see that you are missing a lot of highlight tones on the right...which plainly tells you you are underexposed.

A quick tweek to clip off those missing highlights and spread your histogram to fill your exposure range
2-5.jpg

and you are propertly exposed.
blah.jpg

The sky is properly exposed but the the land is underexposed.

Also you have a dirty image sensor (red arrows) and either a drop of water or lens flare (red circle):

4794816211_2e029ea709_b.jpg

This is the kind of post that would definitely benefit from HDR photography. It's a bit underexposed for the trees and land, but any more exposure would blow out the sky.

If you can get a CPL you'd be set here...otherwise either try an HDR or up the exposure and then in PP add contrast and possibly darken the sky slightly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back