understanding exposure...questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by puyjapin, Feb 5, 2009.

1. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am reading Bryans book, which is very good and has given me some insight to unanswered questions....but....im about half way through and there are still things that are not clear.
    Ok, metering....he states that if you are setting a scene which is mainly important with aperture, ie isolating a subject or a scene with great DOF then obviously the aperture is set. Now he says to adjust the shutter speed accordingly, so the exposure is correct, presubably so that the meter is showing somewhere in the middle. I have tried this and seem to get under or over exposed areas, which is understandable. SO i decided to try moving the camera to different areas of the scene, lighter or darker and then again adjusting the meter so that its in the middle and re composing the shot, releasing the shutter and i still seem to end up with under or over exposure. I have found the only way i can get a decent picture is by setting my aperture and then trying various shutter speeds until the shot looks nice, which presumably is ok but it would be better to get the shot right first time.
    Also I have noticed that when the meter is showing in the middle that when I adjust the shutter it can take a few changes to register a change on he meter..
    I know this is a bit of a long post but any help would be nice.... Thanks

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

You have to use the right metering mode and then decide if the shadows are more important to you or highlights and meter accordingly or shoot an HDR

3. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    whats HDR again? Bear in mind I dont really go in for PP much only picasa. I have been using centre weighted metering

4. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think you can expect each click of the shutter adjustment to move the meter. It's not a one on one thing.
    As far as the rest, yea definitely need to keep playing with it but not forgetting that the metering mode has a lot to do with how the meter takes in the light from the scene.

5. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How are you deciding that the image is over or under exposed? The LCD on the back of the camera isn't good for determining that. Also If you ARE having an exposure issue, set your metering to Matrix(full scene) metering. This will account for the entire photograph not just the center 3mm or whatever it is.

6. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    overexposed as i leave the blown highlights to flash on the screen. under is obvious as i cant see anything clearly. will try matrix as well
    thanks

7. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Foe landscape scenes I think you will find matrix metering works better than center weighted.,
    If you do use centered weighted or even "spot" make sure your are metering on the subject of the photo. Then hold the shutter button down half way to lock the exposure and then re-compose.

8. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dave what I dont get is why would you meter on another area other than the subject. I find when i do this and adjust then move back to the scene its never exposed properly...
    why would u need to hold the ****ter half way then lock exposure, te exposure doesnt change when the shutter is depressed half way? thx

9. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't use the D40 but assume it is like most other cameras.
    When you meter on something then move the camera, it "remeters" the new "something".
    To keep it from changing the exposure you push the shutter button half way.
    This locks the metering (and focus I believe) so that the camera uses the exposure calculations you have "frozen" even if you move the camera around to re-compose.

Hope that made sense...sounds kinda of like I'm rambling.

10. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    AS a better example...
    If you use center weighted metering, but don't want your subject in the center of the frame you first center the subject to get a meter reading. Then push the shutter button half way to lock it in. Then recompose your shot to put your subject where you want it.

11. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes but why would you want to move the camera about once you have focussed unless you were shooting a different subject? Also surely if the camera was focussed then moved unless it was back in an identical position, within a few thou then the focus would be fixed and technically the focus would be not perfect? im hoping to get this by the end of 2020 lol

12. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You are expecting too much from a basic camera it dosn't have enough dynamic range to capture highlights and shadow, throw the book in the bin and go out and shoot trying all the different metering modes to see how they work

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009