Understanding my 100-400 zoom

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by jcdeboever, Jul 3, 2017.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Project today was actually a backup plan. Went to shoot birds but they were not awake yet apparently. My backup plan was to shoot flowers and plants with a 100-400 extended out, not something I would normally do or even think to. Goal was to get a feel for focal length, and focus distance, while creating the opportunity for interesting compositions. Cropping in post should be a pre-vision and tool. I had wrote in my journal a comment @Gary A. mentioned to me a few times when I was wining like a little girl about not using a lens. He said you don't use it because you don't use it.

My three favorite today. XT2, 100-400. Custom velvia simulation mode. Close to SOOC other than maybe a pre vision crop being limited by focus distance of lens.

2017_0703_08401200-01.jpeg

2017_0703_09091300-01.jpeg

2017_0703_08503400(2)-01.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I like the frog. The T2 must seem small attached to all that glass. ;)

3. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Not really, have the vertical battery grip on it.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I like the frog shot as-shown, but think it would be even more impactful cropped to a square.

I LIKE long lenses for closeup isolations! I used to use the old 80-400 VR Nikkor with a 12mm or 20mm extension tube, the Kenko AF tubes...the cool things I found are that the camera-to-subject or working distance is relatively long, so the frog or bug or snake does not get spooked, etc..Second I like that the magnification level is fairly high, because the focal length is so long, and third, I really like the way that the angle of view **behind** the close-up subject is so, so narrow! Close-up type shots like these, made with something like an 80-400 or 100-400mm on APS-C were, I thought, very interesting to look at because they are so **different** than what we've grown up with over the last 40 years, which is basically, close-up shots made with 55mm or 60mm or 105mm macro lenses, and not much else, comparatively speaking.

I like keeping that angle of view **behind** my focused subject narrower, with the longer lenses...this is the thing the 100-400mm will give you on APS-C, that foreground-centric, isolated view! It's all "lenswork"...but when the lenswork is done with an offbeat tool, the results can be so,so pleasing and different.

As youmentioned--the closest or minimum focusing distance (MFD) on many longer lenses can limit your envisoned pictures by not allowing you a close enough MFD, which is why I so,so often used the Kenko AF 12mm and 20mm tubes on my 80-400 on APS-C.

Perhaps a really GOOD close-up lens (Canon 500D or Nikon 6-T), two-element screw-in device would be of great help: these are two-elelement, achromatic lenses, not cheapies. being achromatic, they kill chromatic aberration too!

• Like Like x 1
  5. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice.

Darrel hit most of my loves of a longer lens for these types of shots.

Another good use is shown in your first shot where the compression of the longer lens can soften a background with wider apertures then a shorter lens would at the same F value.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Canon 77 Close-Up Lens 500D

it might be very good on the 100-400 for close-up work; it might even be astoundingly good if the filter were reverse-mounted on the front of the zoom lens, the way the Nikon 6-T close-up lens is when it is reverse-mounted on the front of the Nikkor 100-300mm Ai-S lens.

These two-elelement achromatic lenses are not the old $17 plus-diopter filters of the 1970's and 1980's, but are VERY solid performers. I own this 500D 77mm, and have used it on the Nikon 300/4 AF-S and Canon and Nikon 70-200 lenses...quality is good.

An extension tube would also be sweet for close-ups with your 100-400 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Ordered it, thanks. How would one go about reversing it?

8. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks

9. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

You adopted Fuji for different reasons than I did. The lens looks like it will a be winner for you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Another vote for the frog!! You remind me of the robot Johnny 5 in the movie Short Circuit, always searching, always learning. I bet you talk like him in your sleep "Need Input". LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I really like #1 and #2. Not many peoples shoot flowers with a 400mm. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  12. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

77 mm reversal ring. An adapter ring with 77mm threads on both sides. Same type of ring if you wanted to use a reversed lens on another lens. They have male threads on both sides of a ring. You can get them with different sizes too. Like 77mm on one side and 67mm on other. There is a whole range of them.

• Like Like x 1