Understanding the Subtleties of Nikon Auto ISO in Manual Mode

Chopster01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I have the time between shots I determine all three settings in the exposure triangle, but when I am moving quickly from well-lit to more darkly lit places, I turn on Auto ISO. I understand that my Maximum Sensitivity Setting is the highest ISO I would want to use (I choose 6400), my ISO Sensitivity Setting is sort of my base sensitivity (I choose ISO 100), and the minimum shutter speed is where I want a change in ISO to kick in if it needs to happen. Right? But the exposure bars still activate in the viewfinder and what I don't understand is what ISO that meter is using to determine the exposure. You would almost think it would be on -0- all the time because the ISO would be changing to make a perfect exposure. But that's not the case. I am definitely missing something.

Never mind. I figured it out. I wish I could see the ISO that's auto-selected in the viewfinder of my D7200 thoguh.

How do you delete a post in which you ask a question, then find out the question is stupid, lol!

You don't delete it, others may learn from it. There are no silly questions, just sometimes silly answers

Never mind. I figured it out. I wish I could see the ISO that's auto-selected in the viewfinder of my D7200 thoguh.

How do you delete a post in which you ask a question, then find out the question is stupid, lol!
You can delete it. But have to give a reason. But might as well just leave it. Maybe 2 years from now someone may see it and answer it. And thus turn it into a zombie post. :allteeth:

Look for Edit / Delete / Report in the lower grey bar of the post you want to edit / delete

Most reactions

Back