Underwater Photography

Joseph Elliott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am writing a book and will need underwater photos for it. Anyone know what kind of equipment i will need? Can I use my current camera of will I need a different one? I'm currently using a Fujifilm S5100. Are there special techniques I'll need to learn? It will be mostly subsurface shots, and I can't see myself going down more than 10 - 15 feet. oh and it will be in fresh water.

You may be able to find a water proof case for you specific camera.

What will you be shooting underwater? Will this be in lakes? In Alberta?

The thing with water, is that it can eat up light...especially when there is a lot of sediment (like Alberta lakes).

What quality of shots are you looking at getting? Pros who shoot fish (usually in the ocean) will usually have some sort of off camera flash, maybe a pair...because any light coming from the same direction of the camera...will cause all the debris in the water, to show up as specs.

I can't help any more than that...I've only ever shot underwater with those cheap, disposable underwater cameras.

I found this link, looks like it might help... http://www.jaytreat.com/Diving/Photography/Basics.htm

Im pretty sure its hard to find underwater casings for FujiFilm cameras. But if u do, good luck. if i find one i will post it up here.

I took my pentax point and shoot with a case Scuba Diving in Hawaii. All I can tell you is without a seperate flash you are screwed unless the water is very clear and bright.

Im pretty sure its hard to find underwater casings for FujiFilm cameras.--.

i agree a hard case maybe hard to find, but they do make soft/bag case

17361.jpg

From what I have found they don't make a hard case for my camera but that soft case should work ok. The flash on my camera is on-board and there is no place to attach an extra one, time to upgrade?

Time to try the Nikonos cameras.

Bonnyville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome neighbour!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greetings from Vermilion.

EDIT: You related to any Elliotts here?

If you look at PRO SPEC underwater cameras. You will see they all have VERY wide lenses and off camera flash. This is because if you use "Standard" flash and lens set ups you will see all the bits in the water. and little or nothing of the subject which is about 15 to 30 feet away....

You need to get VERY close and use wide angle shots with the flash Well off to one side..

Hi neea, sorry not related.

I'd like to do this while spending as little money as possible. I think at this point $400 or $500 is the top of my budget. I don't plan on purchasing one till June so i have lots of time.

Thanks for the advice Groupcaptainbonzo
Getting close isn't a problem, its normal to come within a couple feet of the fish when I'm spear fishing. Definately don't want to see the bits in the water. maybe I'll have to extend my budget a bit.

Most reactions

Back