Unhappy customers...

Find out exactly why they are unhappy.

I include the high resolution files in all my wedding packages. I also include a set of 4x6 prints from a full service photo lab so they can see what the photos will look like as long as they take them to a good lab. Last year I had a wedding where I sent the bride a DVD with files and the set of prints, and sent just a DVD to the mother of the bride. The MOB pulled them up on her laptop, and thought they all looked washed out and over exposed. The problem was with her laptop, and I told her to get a few printed at a lab I recommended. That solved the problem.

Are the photos of the quality represented in your portfolio? Did you deliver what you had discussed with them before the wedding? If not, some refund is probably in order. If you feel like you delivered what you said you would then I don't think you owe them a refund, but then again, sometimes it's just better to get problem clients out of your hair, chalk it up as a learning experience, and move on.

No disrespect to you, Fotomama, but how much could they really expect for $300, 2 hours of coverage, and full printing rights? I've done 80+ weddings; starting part time 10 years ago, going full time 4 years ago, and I can't get all of the photos in focus. Procession shots are very difficult. It's often low light, the people are hauling butt towards the altar with no pause, and instead of smiling they are looking nervous or have a grimace on their face.

Thank you everyone! You've all helped me with this quite a bit. My decision is to not give them a refund - I quoted them 100 pics and they received 150, so I more than upheld my end. Sure, there were maybe 7 out of focus shots, but, honestly, I agree- how much can they expect for $300. That may sound strange, but I've had my prices low for reason- I'm new and still slightly unsure of my skills, so charging a lot more is out of my comfort zone for now. I have made one permanent change from this- no more hourly jobs. Thank you all again!

Perhaps you say that you will take back the fifty they dislike the most - and then your contract has been met - and no logner have 'bad' images :)

First of all, you haven't shown us the photos, or the pricing, so it is very hard to judge. If they are $500 bucks in budget, I would say to tell them you did all you could within the pricing constraints. It really depends.
But say you gave them every penny.........
Hard deal.
No matter what you do, they are gonna talk crap about you to all they know.
On the other hand, if you try to midigate, it will be lessened.
I had one unhappy, kinda sorta lady, and it turned out the book she couldn't afford was all it took ot turn her into one of my biggest Poster Girls.
I'd need to know more.

Bummer for sure. Everyone knows I do not do weddings. None the less I think you should let them runaway with the 500 dollars. Some clients are tough to deal with. It is better to let them go as opposed to a refund on their next shoot. Consider it as a learning experience.

Love & Bass

Thank you everyone! You've all helped me with this quite a bit. My decision is to not give them a refund - I quoted them 100 pics and they received 150, so I more than upheld my end. Sure, there were maybe 7 out of focus shots, but, honestly, I agree- how much can they expect for $300. That may sound strange, but I've had my prices low for reason- I'm new and still slightly unsure of my skills, so charging a lot more is out of my comfort zone for now. I have made one permanent change from this- no more hourly jobs. Thank you all again!

you'll hear time and time again that the paradox of wedding photography is that charging more nets more business. Below the average and people think you suck, because you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the responses thus far! I may try
I charged them hourly ($150/ hour) and they only had me shoot 2 hours. They received a dvd with full printing rights.

As you have already figured out, with that kind of a bargain, I wouldn't offer a refund, and I wouldn't give customers OOF photos anymore.

Just a suggestion regarding the unhappy customers. I have had this in the past and offer a refund only if the entire set of photos is returned. That has happened only rarely. Then I sell them the good images at a per image rate. The CD/DVD is another problem. The family has, in most likelihood, already printed off what they want. I would give them a 10-20% refund and a coupon good for a discount on portraits to make up for the bad images. Once you start giving refunds everyone will want one. Another option that a friend of mine uses is to print up a set of images that are good with a vignette and other special effects and give to the family. It cuts into his profits but seems to make people happy.

Most reactions

Back